1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z vs. Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bassngrass, Mar 27, 2005.

1. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

Which would you buy?

Hustler Super Z (25 hp AC Kaw, 60 inch deck) $8299

Grasshopper 327 (27 hp LC Kaw, 61 inch deck) $8900

Grasshopper 227 (27 hp AC Kohler, 61 inch deck) $8100

Can't decide?
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

double post
  3. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

I like the grasshopper better! Though the only thing I have against the husler is the cheesey control panel.
  4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used the Grasshopper, but owning 2 HustlerZ's I can say they are very well built, very good cut, comfortable to operate, and very fast ,especially the SuperZ
  5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Grasshopper and couldn't be happier. Go with your gut feeling and put aside the SPEED factor. I read a ton on the SPEED each mower cuts at. Unless your cutting huge wide open spaces leave speed out of it becasue they all at about the speed.

Grasshopper would be my choice however i have a bias opinion being an owner.. Service from the factory is good too.

6. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I've used both, if you can even compare the two. The Super Z as far as I'm concerned is far better. Cut and Ground speed. If you have large places to cut. The super Z is the mower. Check Parts prices, hopper parts are very high in my area. The hustler line parts are very reasonably priced here. Demo both if you can, Good luck
  7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Speed is only a factor if they perform "at speed" which the Hustler does.
    Speed is an important part of the equation when trying to increase effiency,
    same as Zero turn ability is by increasing manuverability. Most residential lawns I do are 20K and up, so the speed of the mower is very useful in getting me to the next job sooner, and still do a quality job. But since most of my work is commercial, the biggest advantage to me is getting the wide open areas done quicker.
  8. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have never even sat on a Grasshopper so I can't comment about them. However, I demod a Super Z at length at really, really liked that machine. I was prepared to buy the Hustler but the local dealership and I just couldn't come together on price so I bought a John Deere 757. I haven't regretted that purchase at all.