Hustler Super Z vs Scag Tiger Cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by irishcreek95, Mar 27, 2010.

1. irishcreek95

irishcreek95 LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a demo super z ( 40ish hours) with 31 hp Kawi or new tiger cat with 25 hp or 27 hp Kohler command? They are within a couple hundred of each other. Just getting started the business any suggestions? Some properties I have have some banks along roadways, rolling hills, and low ground next to apartments.

2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Cant beat the Velocity deck on the Scags. The 7Iron JD is next. Havent tried a Hustler. Nothing cuts like my TT 29Kaw. But saved alot of money on a new Procat 61 and it cuts really good being it was 4000 cheaper than the TT. And the Hustler was in that price range also. The TT, TC and Super Z set lower than the Procat which should help on hills and banks.

3. irishcreek95

Do think the engine in the scag is sufficient for long hours of continuous mowing of heavy grass which I will have in one area?

4. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Really dont know on the vertical shaft, but I got a old 720 Grasshopper 61" with 2000hrs on a 20hp Kohler horitzontal shaft and it still dont use oil. Only had 15-50 Mobil 1 in it. I got the 27 Kohler on the Procat so will see. It should be war. for 2yrs anyway.

5. irishcreek95

Any thoughts out their on the 25 hp Kohler being strong enough for heavy grass?

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My Tiger Cub (same as the Cat) has the 25 Kohler. Doesn't seem to mind heavy grass.[​IMG]

7. irishcreek95

That is an awesome picture, the area i will be mowing looks alot like that except it is about 3 acres in size. No problems with the hydraulics heating up and I assume the deck opening is plenty large enough?

8. irishcreek95

Also how does it do on roadway banks?

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Here's a few more. Did I mention how well it stripes? :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. irishcreek95

Sure look's like it does an excellent job? Any maintence issues I should be aware of?