1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Paul Mullet president of Excel/Hustler emailed me asking me to try out the Hustler Super Z and give my opinion on their new mower, since they were going to have it in my area today. Lonnie Hamm brought it out to the job and we tested it out.

It seems very well built and they have some nice features on this machine. The new brake system is nicely designed, when you put the levers in neutral and swing them out and the brakes are applied. This feature is nice so employees don't start mowing with the emergency brake on. Duh, I backed mine off the trailer today before I realized mine was on. I'll get used to mine again. :)

The engine to the deck belt layout is different than I have seen. The one belt goes from the engine to all the spindles instead of a belt to the center spindle that usually runs another belt that runs to each of the other 2 outside spindles. I also liked the idea of being able to change that belt without any tools.

The engine is positioned so oil changes would be easy and it has 12 gallons of gas on board, which is nice. All the controls were very accessible from the operators seat. The foot deck lift with spring assist worked very nice, adjustable in 1/4" increments by moving a pin for the stop.

The seat was very comfortable and I'm fussy about seats.

The ride was very good and the cut was also nice. They have a blade tip speed of 18,300 ft per min which is around the maximum limit. I think you have a winner Paul. The only thing I don't know about it the longevity, but with the parts you used to build it, I'd say it would be right up there with the best of them. ;)
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Must have got the one belt on deck from eXmark. My 52 HP Lazer has
    only one deck belt.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

wish i could get presidents of companies to bring me mowers to demo.
    perks of your situation ,huh,good report. later
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Nice post Eric It's always nice to hear a report on how a product performs by someone that knows how to use it. I wish ther was a publication that put all the lawncare equipment in head to head showdowns the way they do ATVs,dirtbikes,cars,truck,etc. Heck I would even volunteer to be a testdriver lol.
  5. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

How was the speed. I doubt it could cut at 15 mph, but can it hang with the DC's for cutting speed and maintain a quality cut? Was the seat the suspension seat?

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I figured I would post some pics for anyone interested.
    Also, these units are going to be rolling off the production line on friday.
    If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

From what Lonnie said, it has a ground transport speed of 15 MPH, but it mows best at 8 or 10 MPH and that is about the speed I mowed at, at the fastest. I only mowed the front of a house and it wasn't real big, so I couldn't get going to fast. Yes, it does have a suspention seat that does take a lot of the shock out.
  8. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

for anybody thats interested, i bought a hustler z in march. ihave about 125 hrs on now and love it! the hydrolics are really smooth and with the foot mounted deck lift i don't have to stop to lift the deck to negotiate an obstacle. the difference between a regular z and the super z are;reg. z has 23 horse kawi ,super z 25 horse kawi,super z has a remote air filter and suspension seat standard, reg. z does not, and reg. z ground speed is about 8-10 mph and like you already know the super z is about 15.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The suspension seat is not standard.
    Although it is a very nice seat, not everyone see's a need for it, so we make it a option, to keep costs down to the end user.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think what Eric meant about the belts is that it only has ONE belt doing what most mowers need a deck belt and a deck drive belt (ie: Exmark, DC, Toro, all others). Not sure how Hustler does this, but with a vertical shaft engine, I'm sure it isnt rocket science. Looks like a nice mower on paper and in pictures. Unfortunatly, there are no Hustler dealers around me.