Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, May 19, 2007.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I've posted on this forum several times about issues that I've had with my new Super Z mower, hoping to get feedback from the pro's on here. I want to thank each and everyone of you that has replied. I also wanted to take a moment to let everyone know how these issues have been handled by Hustler, and their representatives.

I drove a long way to purchase this mower, to a dealership that was recommended by a fellow member here on Lawnsite. This Dealership is in Oakwood Georgia, called Georgia power sports, owned by James Allison. James, and his partner Gerald own one of the largest Hustler dealerships in the United States, and after dealing with these two gentlemen it's easy to see why. They take the approach that if your not happy then their not happy. The mower that I bought was a left over model built in December of 2005. This being a left over 2005 model it had a lot better price than a 2007 model, but still had the same warranty, thus the reason for me driving that distance. The model didn't really matter to me as much as the warranty did. The fact that this mower set around out in the weather for over a year without being run is probably the reason for most of the problems that I've had.

I also want to note that a Hustler rep lives about a mile up the road from me His name is Ken Frye. Ken has bent over backwards to help me on these issues. He has came to my house, loaded up my mower, and took it 45 miles to the Hustler dealership in Murfreesboro TN twice to have it checked out. I can tell by talking to him that He truly believes that Hustler is the best mower out there. I still have a few issues with the mower, but I am totally confident that Hustler will in the end make me happy. I know this sounds like I'm trying to sing Hustlers praise, but I can't help it. I'm the type of person that just tells it like it is, and if you treat me right I'll tell everyone, and if you treat me wrong I'll still tell

Issues that Ive encountered, and fixes:

-Starting problem (fixed): Starter replaced mower has started every time since replacement.

-Sputtering problem (fixed): Seems that the fuel lines were floating up in the tanks. Stainless weights were attached to ends of lines. this seems to have helped solve problem.

-Chattering when sticks full forward : We may have actually found the solution to this problem today. I talked to Gerald at Georgia power sports this morning about the problem. He said that they had a similar problem with a mower just yesterday. They replaced the tension spring on the idler pully, and it fixed the problem. I got under my mower, and noticed that the spring didn't look like it was stretched out very much. I decided to try to increase the tension on the belt by looping tie straps in the coils of the springs, and drawing the coils together. Guess what, I took it out shoved the sticks all the way forward, and the chatter that I was experiencing was almost totally gone. I'm not totally sure this is a spring problem though. The belt itself may be stretched, because the idler pully already looked like it was almost touching the deck belt, and I don't think that it would be designed to run so close to each other. Who knows it could be the spring, and the belt both causing the problem, but the solution now seems close at hand.

-Power loss on hills : This is the one issue that no one can seem to agree on.
    I've read numerous posts on here with different views on this subject. Some say that this is just a Super Z issue that you get with the bigger pumps. Some say that their Super Z mowers will gain speed up hill, and that the blades will gradually come back up to speed. If I'm even on a slight upward grade trying to come up to full speed, my RPMs will drop considerably, and unless I back off on the sticks the RPMs will never come back up all the way. On the steeper grades I'm not talking sticks all the way forward, I'm Just gradually trying to gain speed up hill as I go, but as speed increases the RPMs will just go down. I guess the best test would be for me to get another Super Z on my property to see if I get the same results. I may contact my neighbor to see if He can bring another Super Z up just to see if they run the same.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've been in a very similar situation a few years ago. Twelve shop visits (gearbox (2), starter, PTO, broken pulley, etc.) in sixteen months. Hustler actually swapped it for a new machine. Now the replacement machine has over 700 hours and has been fantastic.

What size motor and deck do you have on your machine?

My 60" SuperZ will pull hills without even so much as a 100 rpm drop with the blades running.

My 66" with the XR-7 deck often has to be babied at times pulling hills. These machines have the same engine.:confused:
  3. webdrifter

I have the 66" XR-7 deck with the 27 hp Kohler motor. The Super Z mowers that I demoed before were 27 hp 60" deck machines, and they didn't seem to have this problem. You wouldn't think that an additional 6" would make a power difference. This does make one wonder what is making the power difference. Could the XR-7 deck some how be demanding more power than the old style deck?
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That's why I mentioned the XR-7 part in my comment. I do not like the XR-7 compared to my older style deck.
  5. webdrifter

It would be nice to run an old style deck machine next to mine to see the difference.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I REALLY hope they get you all squared away. I feel bad about the problems you're having after the recommendation.

I haven't had many dealings with Gerald, but can testify to James!!

Good luck...

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The XR7 does fine in certain types of turf. Compare it to the old deck in Forida and the XR7 will no doubt do better. Here the old style will no doubt do better. The XR7 just naturally cuts grass better at shorter lenths. It's not a high lift deck. Most open design decks do not lift the grass up much.

Any brand of mower set up to run 15 mph will not be as powerful up hills as one set up to run 10-12 mph (engines being the same). It's like being in a car that's geared high. It's that simple. They don't call it gearing when were dealing with pumps and wheel motors but that's the simplest way to put it. The Super is geared high so you loose some torque (lugging power) as a trade off for the high speed.

Put the kit on an Exmark to get the 15 mph and you will loose some climbing power just the same.
  8. webdrifter

What your saying does sound logical, and thats the same response that I'm getting from My neighbor the Hustler rep. The thing thats bugging me is that on a long hill the mower will not gradually come up to speed. I'm reading a lot of posts on here where the mowers will lug a little, but they will eventually gain the RPMs back. I did a little experiment yesterday with my mower. I started from the bottom of the hill, and went up it in reverse. I dumped the sticks, and the mower came up to full reverse speed real quick (7 mph) with no noticable RPM loss. I ran along side a fence and watched the fence going by just to get a speed reference. I then went back down and came back up forward. To run around the same speed that I was running in reverse I had to gradually push the sticks, and if I tried to go much faster at all the rpms would really start to drop off, and they would not come back up unless I slowed down. It's all the same pumps, there must be a different valve or something for the reverse system..Hmmmmmm.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well reverse is set up go have a slower top speed, probably wheel motor design. So it should have more torque in reverse but not necessarily, depending on how the wheel motor is designed. My Hustler dealer said they ran a Z and Super Z side by side and the regular Z would start to pull away on hills due to its lower gearing (wrong term, I know) Plus the fact that there are no large hp vertical engines that would be so beneficial to Hustler. I they come out with a 35 hp vertical mass produced engine that will make a world of difference on the Hustler. The 30 Kohler just didn't work out too well, most reviewers said it felt no more powerful than the 27. As I have said in the past when Hustler gets a large vertical engine, makes improvements on the XR7 for transitional and cool season grasses, a more reliable wheel motor they are set to take a big market share. I really like the design and they have come up with more innovations than most company's. But the basics engine, cut, and wheel motors are a weakness just going by post and my own experience. In my opinion and I tried everything the XR7 needs more than a band-aid or bolt on fix for Northern Grasses. But what a great comfortable design they have with the Super. Just needs a few things worked out and I'm sure they are working hard on them and probably keeping quiet about them for now.

And by the way I don't want a ZTR that runs 15 mph. Not in hill country. 10-12 mph still give me the torque I need. I mean I've owned both and a Turf Tiger would drag a Super Z all over the place if you were to hook them up. Massive power tot he back wheels. Even with the same engine I assure you a regular Z will out pull a Super.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly it.

The thing is though, how many years have they been at this so far?
    Still no mass improvement in the sorest spots.

I don't know what it is really?

I don't know what they have going on with the deck deal. They just have to do a better job there, or offer another different deck for other areas.

As far as the drive system is concerned, I don't see what the big deal is.
    The change would be EASY.

I think what it is boils down to they are afraid to abandon the 15 mph speed.
    I'm sure lots of people make rash decisions and go for the fastest mower.

But I don't think it would hurt them to kind of do like dixie did.
    Keep offering the 15mph mower for those people, and call it the FLATLANDER or something similar. Then offer another model between the Regular Z and it with whatever wheel motors Scag and the others are using for 10-12 mph with 21cc pumps.

The way it is today though, you have the Super which is getting labeled a flatland "geared" machine. Then you have the Regular Z for the harder pulling. But the issue I see there is that the regular Z has no hydro cooling... not unless they have added it since I looked last.