1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shea, Jun 30, 2007.

1. shea

shea LawnSite Member

We're looking to buy new mowers and was looking at the Hustler Super Z. Anyone here have experience with these mowers? I would like to hear someone elses opinion of the mower and it's durability rather than the dealers. Any help would be appreciated.:usflag:
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have owned 4 Super Z's and they have been flawless. You need to have large open areas to utilize the speed for productivity. I cut at 2.75 inches in southern grass at 15 mph a great deal of the time and it does a wonderful job.

The area you are in if you don't need the speed and want a more manicured cut there is probably better decks for that type cutting. I am demoing a Bad Boy Lightening for comparison at this time just to see the difference for myself. There is $2000.00 difference in the best Bad Boy has and the Super Z with the 28 efi, flex forks and flex seat.

There is nothing on the market that I am aware of that is built any stronger or simple and has the excellent handling and ride of my mower.

I will say if I was going to buy a new mower Monday morning it would be exactly what I have now. That is about as good a testimony as you will hear but this is in NC southern grasses and weeds, every area is different.

The one thing I want is more power to pull the big pumps and hold the rpm's up in all cutting conditions, a 38 efi would suit me just fine if they can find the components to stand up to that power.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with puppypaws, mostly.

I've had three SuperZ's. I still have two of them (60" old-style deck and 66" XR-7). IMO, they are extremely well made and designed. The lower center of gravity, shorter wheelbase, and durability are hard to find anywhere else. I also cut often at the full 15 mph in tall-fescue at 4". It never misses a blade of grass.

But now the dislikes: As good as the SuperZ's are, to me their decks are poor. What I mean by that is their performance. They are tough as nails but when you're cutting anything that isn't downright dry as sand, they will clog up in no time. If the turf is healthy (and holding good moisture within the plant), I often have to scrape them out underneath the deck two to three times a day. If it's been raining, don't even ask me how mad I get. This is for both deck styles.

The only other issue is like puppypaws said, their offerings in the power department leave something to be desired. Hustler doesn't like anything but vertical shaft engines and I can understand that. But that limits the choices quite a bit. They tried a gearbox a few years back for horizontal shaft engines but it was a flop. I wish they hadn't given up so soon.

To sum it all up, I plan on keeping my SuperZ's quite a while. If I have a need for more larger deck mowers, I'll probably get another. But recently I was looking for another small deck mower for some of my high-end residential accounts. I really didn't even consider Hustlers. I bought a 717 Deere. Not to knock Hustler at all, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses.:)
  4. hwew

hwew LawnSite Member

Try to demo a Everride Warrior,
    I love my 54" with a Kawasaki. Just today I mowed Bahia grass stalks over two feet tall with dull blades and it got all but 5 stalks on a 2.10 acre lot. Not knocking Hustler but I watched a crew mowing Bahia stalks in front of a church with a Hustler Z and they had a person walking behind with a swinging weed cutter (what ever you call it) to cut down missed stalks. I am glad I don't have to do that. It cuts tall-fescue at 4" very well. And even when it is wet. No clumping and clogging with this deck.

Just somthing to check out.
  5. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I like my super Zs. I have a 27 KOH and a 28EFI Koh, both with 60 inch XR7s. I agree with what was said about power. The 28 does well, but Id sure like more. Not sure whats going on with the diesel either, and from the replies Ive gotten, Hustler doesnt know either. The CAT was a flop apparently, so whats next? I saw a Country Clipper with a 37 Kawi yesterday, that could be better too. I dont think you can go wrong with the Hustler mowers, I just wish they were a little more "on the ball" with engines.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I certainly will. I know WJW (LS member) here in Raleigh just recently bought one and really seems to enjoy it.