Hustler Super Z ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hardstripes, Nov 26, 2007.

1. hardstripes

hardstripes LawnSite Member
    from KY

I am considering purchasing a used super Z with the Honda 24 HP engine. It has roughly a little more than 300 hrs racked up and I believe it's a '03 model. How many hours should I expect from it with regular and routine maintenance? Any other insite on these particular mowers?

2. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I do not have the Honda engine so I can not comment on them.

I do have two Hustler Super Z,s though. One is a 2002 with a 25 hp Kawasaki and the other is a 2003 with the 27 hp Kohler. They both have around 1000 hours on them. Over all they have been great mowers but there are somethings that often give you problems with them. Mostly Hydraulic motor and pump problems for me. Leaking wheel motor in the 2002. Replace one hydraulic motor and pump on the 2003.payup Other than that only a few idler pulleys burnt up and 1 deck spindle. I did have to set it up so it would cut good for me.
    That was no problem with the Lawnsite search engine.:waving: Giving a shout out to the site.:waving: It is great.:waving:
    If it has the older air filter system, you will have to change the filter allot, and depending on the type fuel filter, it may clog up allot. Not sure about the Honda Though. They are troublesome on the 2002 Kawasaki for me.

Hope this helps. What is the price?

PS: Get some flex forks for it.:D

3. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Great machine overall. The Honda engine doesn't have quite as much torque as the Kawasaki or Kohler options but is very very reliable and seems to be less susceptible to carb problems than the Kawi.. I used to sell Hustler and those machines were great. As mentioned above the flex forks are really nice too.

4. hardstripes

hardstripes LawnSite Member
    from KY

The price is $4500 is that within reason?

5. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds reasonable to me. Not a steal but an ok price. Try to get it around $4000 if possible. Is it at a business or an individual? Tax?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't imagine a SuperZ with less power than my 28hp EFI has.

The 24 Honda is a torque-less pansy engine. No problems with longevity, but power isn't their strong suite.

I'd look around.

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

as tls has said no torque and for a super z you need it ...BAD. once you get that thing going all out it will not give the cut you want i used to sell hustler also and that unit never made it to my showroom they sure were pushing them but not to my customers

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

None of them around here either. And there are some Cat powered 34 HP Diesel ones also.

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

GN you ever cut over by country walk?

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. Had friends that lived there though. Till after Andrew. We also mowed at the RR museum near the Zoo with a Ford 872 tractor.