hustler superz or lazer z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imograss, May 17, 2003.

1. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i will be buying another z in the next two months. ive narrowed my choice to a superz or lazer z, both have 27 kohler, both have great features, i like the superz but dont see many in my area, also both are priced the same from same dealer. id like to hear from current owners of both these machines, good and bad points. thanks in advance for any replies.

tim

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You've narrowed it down to 2 of the very best ZTR's out there!

The edge will have to go to Hustler on features. But eXmark has been building Lazers long before Hustler turned themselves around.

Engine options are what my biggest holdback is on the Hustler. But if your happy with the 27hp Kohler, then that isn't an issue then.

Parking brake integrated with the sticks is another thing that concerns me. Guess I'll have to sit on one to get a feel for that. Good Idea, but the Lazer is real simple and a VERY positive brake.

Single belt for the Hustler is another thing that has me scratching my head. Not that there's anything wrong with a single belt, but it just worries me a bit.

The other thing about Hustler is lack of dealers. There will ALWAYS be an eXmark dealer in just about every town. Cant say that about Hustler.

These are just nit-picking things. Like I said, they are a VERY close #2 to eXmark. More like a #1.1 !!!!

It almost comes down to what color you like!

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are nice machines, but the features lean towards Hustler... the smoothness of their controls, integrated parking brake, suspension sear standard... but please make sure you demo both on YOUR LAWNS and are satisfied with each machine's quality of cut and discharge patern.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey neighbor,

Demo both on properties you have. Especially if you have a question of whether it will stick on our hilly slopes or not. This is the only way you will know for sure which machine will work best for you.

I did with both the Lazer and Super Z, I chose the Lazer HP. But that was my preference.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

2 best manufacturers out there. Customer service is great with both. I run eXmarks, but if I ever bought any other mower it would be a Hustler. There would be no 3rd choice.

You need to demo both machines on YOUR PROPERTIES IN THE GRASS to know what you need. Don't go by overall ground speed. You need to see the performance of each in the grass on your personal properties. That does make a difference.

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I am so impressed with Exmark and their Lazer Z that I would buy another one, without a doubt.

That said, the Hustler seems to be a great machine by any standard and I see plenty of them out here in my area.

As the others have said demo, demo, demo. I think that it is mainly a matter of preference when comparing these two particular machines and for most folks it may boil down to the dealer, their relationship with said dealer, and the proximity (location) of the dealer.

I really like my dealer and he has always taken care of me in a courtious and friendly manner. If he sold Hustler I would be checking one out before I bought another ZTR. But, he's an Exmark guy...and when a dealer is loyal and the equipment he sells is excellent........well, who could ask for anything more?

Good luck with your decision! :)

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Heres My Vote.

homeexm.gif

8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler is cheaper,faster,has better warranty!!!:)

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Cheaper? No way! Maybe close to the same.

Faster? Yeah, and how fast can you really mow anyway?

Better warrenty? Not a chance! Both are probably equal in many respects.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree that these seem to be two great mower companies. I don't have hustler dealers nearby, but if I did I would try them out for sure.

As for the super high speeds, I've never been able to mow any faster than maybe 8-9mph w/o it appearing reckless anyway. Maybe on really smooth large commercial properties it would come in handy, but I thnk some of the speed claims are less important that cut quality, traction, balance, steering smoothness, reliablity, etc.