Hustler Suspension Flex Forks Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 7, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have been testing a set of flex forks from hustler over the past week. If you are not familiar with these check out this form which has pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=121408&page=2&highlight=flex+forks

The flex forks do smooth out the ride a lot. However it is hard to tell if it is the flex forks or the lowered cutting height now in the fall that is causing more scalping than normal. I am going to try to lower the anti scalp wheels on my deck and give it a try later this week. I have noticed when mowing steep hills sideways the lower side of the deck tends to scalp, my guess is because more weight is transferred to the one flex fork. I hope lowing the anti scalp wheels will help this. However on my large properties I can mow at full speed and not have the deck slam up and down like it would before if I went full speed. Every time I load it on to my trailer you use to feel the bump as I transition onto the gate; now, no bump. I'll let you know the results of lowing the scalp wheels.

Over all they smooth out the ride a lot. The scalping isn't too bad given I am cutting at 2.25-2.5" now for the fall. I'll take pics of them on my mower tomorrow and post those, maybe I can even get a movie clip up. Feel free to ask me any questions you have. I'll keep everyone updated.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper has had that type of fork (but with an adjustable steel spring) for about a year now. That leaning thing is a concern of mine and the very reason I haven't bought them. It is also the reason I haven't even bothered to look at any of the suspension mowers.

3. stevesmowing

I think adjusting the scalp wheels will help this. The amount it smooths out the ride is huge. I can mow 13-15 mph and not have the deck bounce.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

SOOOOO True.
    John

5. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I am very interested, I own three of these machines in service now and the ride is tough on ruff ground preventing from full speed mowing.

6. stevesmowing

Lowering the anti scalp wheels made a huge difference. Scalping is very little now. I have some lawns that the customers insisted I cut very short (2") and it did not scalp on these. I have been very productive with my machine lately being able to mow fast and get a smooth and nice cut.

7. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

On really rough ground do the wheels come back far enough to hit the deck?

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No.
    I have run the Flex Forks and we have also tested with several end users, and we have not once had this happen.

Pj

9. stevesmowing

there is plenty of clearance and it is not an issue. The ride with the flex forks is about as smooth as a ferris with the 2 wheel rear suspension, only once i lowered the anti scalp wheels the super z doesn't scalp like the ferris did.

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

my ferris is yet to scalp?