Hustler SWB... Fans only

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just got my New Hustler SWB and thought these pics would answer many questions you guy’s have. For what it’s worth I mow with doubles on this machine, my stock 48 and my Super 54.
    They all seem to cut as well as any other machines the guy’s are using here in New Jersey. The cut on all my machines are every bit as good as my friend’s two 52 inch lazer ZTR’s.
    I’m not trying say the Hustler WB’s cut any better than the competition, but they don’t seem to cut worse. I will admit they do clump a bit more in heavy wet conditions, but they also seem to cut better than other machines in drier conditions.
    One thing I realize is for “any machine”, it’s a poor test to compare the cut on a demo machine that probably has low rpm, improper deck leveling and unsharpened blades, to your personal machine that is setup just right with sharp blades.
    The reason I say this is cutting side by side against other machines, my machines’ cut easily hold there own.
    To continue, as Ultimate lawn states and I agree with, a 36” machine will and should clump less than a 48 or 54 machine because the grass has fewer chambers to pass through and less shear volume to exit the chute. Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit my 54 clumps more than my 48 because the 54 is trying to pump more grass out the same size chute opening. However, with Hustlers high chute air velocity, they are very good at dispersing drier clippings and with doubles can easily cut and leaf blow a lawn in one operation. Also, with doubles the Hustler WB’s easily clear the driveway or street of grass and debris clippings, with strength of a backpack blower.

swb  front.jpg

2. Doc Pete

These giant tires for a WB are 20” diameter, 10” wide with 8” rims.

tires.jpg

3. Doc Pete

With a deck thickness of over 5 ½”, Hustler WB’s don’t seem to have any blowout even with doubles.

deck height.jpg

4. Doc Pete

Here’s a comparison to a standard type WB so you can see the true size of the Hustler WB.

mower compare.jpg

5. Doc Pete

Please note as standard, the Donaldson air cleaner, 23 horsepower Kaw, giant tires, and over building at every point.

swb 45.jpg

6. Doc Pete

Mower deck with baffling and "boxed" frontend contruction.

mower deck.jpg

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

That looks like one SOLID piece of equipment! Will you be installing a Bull-Rider?

8. Them blades look like a single blade to me, or is my vision messed up:rolleyes: :confused: :D :eek: :p :) :sleeping:

9. Doc Pete

I
    I already have it;) I wanted to leave the machine stock for the pics.

Naturally, my "Custom" SWB 54 has had the bullrider for two years.

sulky2.jpg

10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a big ----- looking machine.