Hustler...Turf Damage

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mindless, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Cutting lawn with Hustler FasTrak 20/52 and rear wheels are tearing tall fescue turf. I've played with the tire pressure, ever so gentle 3 point turns and still it tears turf while turning. Turf is mostly sloped (guessing 20+ degree angle) so I'm thinking this might be cause of my problem. Anyone have suggestions?

2. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

I used to do the same with my Lazer Z. Not as much but I still do it sometimes. I think it has a lot to do with all the rain we've had this summer. The turf damages easily when it is moist. Try watching your tires when you make a turn to see if they are slipping.

3. Old Pa

Old Pa LawnSite Member

My FasTrak 44/18 requires dry turf and a light touch on the sticks. Keeping the tires at the high end of their inflation range seems to give them a bit more tooth and make them harder to break and spin or slide. It's a constant challenge.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You just need to learn how to drive it. You need to keep the wheels moving either in forward or reverse all the time. When you pivot on one tire it leaves a mark. Try doing a "Y" turn instead of a zero turn until you learn the technique, ie one wheel moving forward, the other moving back. Have fun!

5. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

And turf condition is the key!
    Wet or soft turf is particularly treacherous! LOL! :cry:

Also when mowing and turning on uneven terrain it may not be the tires...but the deck! If it is set to cut low that’s doing the damage. :eek:

Here’s what works best for me: payup

At the end of my run if I want to make 180* turn, I back up and while still moving backwards I simultaneously turn both levers, each in the opposite direction until I’m facing the direction I wish to go.
    Moreover, if I’m on a lope or uneven terrain and cutting low, I simply push my deck lift pedal on my Hustler to lift the deck slightly before I start my turn in order to avoid damaging the turf with the deck.

Hope that helps! :drinkup:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

6. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

I am using a fastrack this year as well and have noticed the same...I think it has to do with the size tires on it possibly. It seems to be worse than the larger ztrs about tearing turf. I HAVE to do a y turn most of the time...no big deal though.