Hustler vs. Ariens/Gravely

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jceh1, May 6, 2005.

1. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

How do the Ariens/Gravely machines compare with the Hustler fastrak/mini fastrak?

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I can speak for the Ariens vs Fastrac. I really liked the Ariens. That is what convinced me I wasn't going to purchase from Lowes (Cub Cadet ZTR). I did test drive one, but in the end I chose Hustler b/c it was more heavy duty, seemed to feel more 'commercial' like than the Ariens. I really like the "XL" series by Ariens. They go faster than their normal line or the Fastrac for that matter.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know that much about the Hustler but I've heard some good things about them. But the dealership I work for sold the Gravleys for 8 years,I never worked so hard in my life as keeping up with the repairs on these things,I kept 2 or 3 in the shop per week ! The best thing my boss ever did is cancel his dealership with them. Now we sell Dixie Choppers and I feel like the maytag repair man !

A 14yr. Master Service Technician

4. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I too had been comparing between the Hustler mini Fastrak/Fastrak between the Ariens models, in particular the the 1740 Zoom. I have yet to have done a demo on any of them, but I'm going to the Ariens dealer tomorrow after having been approved for the financing and as long as I like the feel, I'm going home with a 1740.

Comparing features between both lines leads me to believe that the Ariens 1740 Zoomis a dollar for dollar much better value. The Hustler reputation is probably much better, but when you look at the construction and specs, the Ariens matches or exceeds the Hustler in every possible category. Even more important, is that Ariens does it at a lower price.

5. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

dpullen4 - Please let us know how the demo goes. I haven't demo'ed either machine.

6. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I have not seen specs on steel gauge, thickness of front wheel axles, etc., but from memory the inferior feel of toughness of the Ariens was the sole reason I chose Hustler over the Ariens.

7. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

I was at the Hustler dealer today - He says that they don't make a 2 cylinder for the mini fastrak. I don't know if they stoped offering the Honda or he just doesn't know what he is talking about. Also wasn't offering the promo deals that Hustler says are available to end of month on the regular fastrak.

8. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I brought home the Ariens 1740 Zoom today for $3199 with 6 months same as cash with 1.9% thereafter. I didn't bother trying the 1944 because I didn't want to spend another $500 on it.

This was the first time I'd ever even driven a ZTR. It'll definitely take some getting used to. I will definitely get the mulch kit for it, but after coming home and looking at it from above, it left a very nice cut. Of course, the lines were as wavy as could be, but I'll get there.

I'm pretty satisfied so far. It'll only get better once I can master the controls of this thing. I took off almost 30 minutes off my cut time on a 1/2 acre lot my first time around already.

9. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The frame dimensions are the exact same for the Zoom 1740 and the Hustler Mini Fastraks and Fastraks. If it had been painted yellow, you would have never known the difference.

10. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

Sounds like you made a wise choice. When I looked at the Ariens I thought they were well built mowers. The last time I mowed with my ZTR I got drowsy, that's how easy they are to use once you get the hang of them, they can put you to sleep.
    Good Luck with your mower.....