Hustler vs. Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Aug 24, 2001.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, with all this new information about how awesome Hustler customer service is, has anyone dealt with eXmark and had similar situations? I used to think (from reading reviews on Lawnsite) that eXmark was the mower of choice, but now I am second guessing that. What do you all think?

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Nashville, we have an awesome Exmark dealer. He will do everything possible for you and then some. I think he might be the exception rather than the rule. I am going to the Hustler, not because of our dealer (which is terrible) but IMHO the machines are built so much better. I am not saying the Exmark is bad though. It all depends on what you see when you look at the machines. I like the Hustler for being over built, and very rugged in construction. I also like the support Hustler has from the factory down through the sales rep's and even to the dealer's (if possible). If you feel comfortable with Exmark then more power to you. It's a good machine and will get the job done time after time.

3. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Personally I will stay with exmark. They are awsome machines and have never even made me think of switckhing. As far as getting such high hopes about a machine which is not even available I think is silly. You can put a mower blade under a porsch 911 and get done faster. That doesn't mean it is the best machine. In my opinion there are three or four proven mowers on this biz. They are Exmark, Dixie, Scag? and Walker. I am sure those who own a different brands will disagree and that is OK it is only my opinion. I would not even think of getting a mower that is not even been proven. Stick with what you know works and don't believe the hype.

4. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Ryan, define hype. Typically when people write something based on actual experience it is not defined as hype. I just bought a new Hustler walkbehind and am quite happy with it. I also demoed a Super Z and was pleased. You better believe if I'm happy with it the Lawnsite people will know. I don't believe anything I've said about Hustler would be defined as hype. If you say don't believe the hype, please explain your experience that would lead you to believe the praise of a this new machine is hype.

Roscioli, I think Exmark is a good machine too. I chose the Hustler walkbehind for the controls and the way the company treated me. Their customer service makes a bold statement about their products. They are also active, as is Exmark, on Lawnsite and that is a plus if you have troubles with you machines. I'm not saying what to buy, simply that the Hustler line is worth trying. Try them both and buy the mower that you feel best suits your needs. I know which brand I will buy.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i posted a good while ago that i was very impressed w
    the hustler. that dont translate like it better than lazer.
    i might possibly,but it still has to prove certain things to me.
    mainly positive reports on this forum. thats the test along with using one yourself. these advertisers need to realize the potential of this forum. some day it might be able to make or breakum with the truth.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you talking about RYAN??? All the Hustler machines are available, shipping to dealers, and are at the dealers in most cases. And only 3 or 4 proven mowers? And Scag? Have you read anything listed here on lawnsite about the support for Scag? I dont think I will be headed that direction! And yes just because something may be fast does not make it the best. But did you consider that some people here post due to knowledge and not rumors? Or the HYPE you talk about? If you did a little research about Excel/Hustler you would find they have machines 20-25 maybe even 30 years old still running everyday and doing just fine. Find me one, just one from either of the others you list as PROVEN? I am not trying to dog you RYAN, just educate you as to why some feel Hustler is the best!

7. skipwatson

skipwatson LawnSite Member

Ryan, Dixie Chopper's tagline is "The World's Fastest Mower." They're fast AND one of the best. Why doubt that Hustler can be fast and good at the same time?

Incidentally, Exmark has only been around for 11 or 12 years. Hustler's been around a lot longer than that.

8. dhicks

dhicks Member

My Hustler dealer has been selling Hustler equipment for 28 years. :p

9. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Gravely has been around for 85 years, Ariens for over 70.

The Gravely 260Z is unproven??? Interesting.

Barry Adamski
    Try Gravely, more for your money.

10. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Stay with the Hustler.

I want a Hustler WB! :D