Hustler vs. Gravely vs. Toro

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by svtran, Apr 23, 2007.

1. svtran

svtran LawnSite Member

I have over an acre of yard with some hills and trees. I am shopping for a zero turn mower. I test drove the Gravely 152M (23HP Koehler/52") and the Toro Z Master 400 series (19HP Kaw/48"). I have been eyeing the Hustler Mini-Z (23HP Kaw/52"). The Toro was more comfortable with the spring loaded seat.

Am I comparing apple to apple here? The Gravely 152M is $5400, the Toro Z Master (approx. $6000) and the Hustler Mini-Z is $5500. Which one should I go with?
    Son

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You are comparing machines of equal types... as in smaller framed 48 to 52 inch cut.
    You really need to drive the Hustler, I think you will be blown away with the difference.
    You will find the Hustler to drive smoother, handle slopes better, it will feel more controllable due to its balance and lower center of gravity.
    Some more things to consider...
    Look at the service point on the engine on the Hustler, all easy to get to and maintain, this is because we turn the engine sideways to shorten the unit up and this also put the oil drain and dipstick in a easy place to get to and the oil filter also.
    The air filter is nice and high up and out of the dirty and hot air around the engine.
    The parking brake is our patented automatic, you put the control lever to the out position and your brakes are set.
    2 year bumper to bumper warranty (2 more available on engine if you purchase and use Super oil from the time you buy the mower)
    Lifetime on the frame and leading edge of the deck.
    3 year spindle warranty and castor fork bearing warranty.
    Optional Flex Fork front suspension for a smoother ride.
    Just demo one and you will be sold.

Pj

3. gmtrailertrash

gmtrailertrash LawnSite Member
    from Okc, OK

PJ,
    My dealer in Oklahoma City, OK does not know anything of the 4-year warranty on the engine when using the Super Oil. How do I get the additional time for the engine warranty?

David

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You have to purchase the Super oil from your dealer and it has to be used in the engine at the initial 5 hour oil change and used when changing the oil for the 4 years.
    The initial engine warranty is 2 years and covered by the OEM, when you purchase Super oil the warranty is extended 2 years on the internals of the engine and covered by Super Oil.
    Your dealer should have information on Super Oil, if he doesn't he can contact his distributor.

Pj

5. svtran

svtran LawnSite Member

Here is the update:
    It came down to the Hustler 44" 16HP Honda and 48" 18HP Honda. The spring loaded seat and the higher power engine sold us. I bought the 48" HP Honda with Flex Fork, gator blades, and super oil for $5000 plus tax. The mrs. loved it and went out and mowed the yard right away.

Glad I did all my homework on this website.
    Son Tran

6. slow2spool

slow2spool LawnSite Member

Does this apply to the FS 20/52?

Mike

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thats awesome!!
    Welcome to the family!!

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes it does.
    Super Oil can be purchased with any new Hustler mower with a gas engine and it extends your engine warranty for 2 years (internal components).

Pj

9. dwilder54

dwilder54 LawnSite Member

My local dealer says i can only buy the super oil in a six pack for $80.00 is this the only way to purchase and is this the going price ????

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes and Yes.