Hustler vs. the rest (need feedback)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rambo10, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rambo10

rambo10 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am getting back into maintenance (currently an LCO, chem. only) and am looking at Hustler, Exmark and Scag.

I would some feedback on quality of cut, service history and mowing hills.

Any info will be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

2. a&b landscaping  inc.

a&b landscaping inc. LawnSite Member
    from Stow,MA

We use a Hustler 60" super z w/ bac-vac and I love it. Best cutting machine we have, bags great and is good on hills(unless it's wet) then you have to go slower. Hasn't been to the shop yet for any repairs 4yrs old. We mow 80 lawns Tues. to Friday and bag everything.

3. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

We use 60" Hustler Zs and have had really good luck with them. They cut well. We have never had downtime with them and they handle and ride beautifully. I've used other machines that cut as well, but haven't found anything that handles as nimbly. They're my favorite.

4. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

and 42" mini-Z. The cut looks just like every other mower out there...some pulleys broke on my fastrak because they are plastic. But the Mini-z, I just bought last season, 300 hours on it and NO maint issues so far (except the rims were replaced...factory defect).

As far as hills go.....the back coaster wheels, or whatever you call them....are bent from where I run the thing up hills (fastrak only...I/my employees don't abuse the mini-z). I know...stupid...but I just lean forward and pray. Anything I can't cut sideways I just go straight up and down. So hills don't bother me or are even part of my buying decison.

Hope that helps.

5. Brown's LC & L

Brown's LC & L LawnSite Member

My dad has two riders, a Walker & a Hustler. My favorite one was the Hustler. 72" deck, large capacity for catching the clippings, and you can move pretty quick. He had his first one for over 10 years!

I have a Lesco, 48" Hydro drive with Jungle Wheels to ride on. It's a great piece of equipment too, at a fraction of the cost!

6. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

The Fastrak is a homeowner grade mower so they are a little fragile. I have a Fastrak 52 and it has the same sort of problems mentioned above. My Zs have never had those issues.

7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Hustler super Z,s for 7 years and have had no problems to speak of. I sold my biz. and now sell Hustler, Bad Boy, and Grasshopper mowers, and Gehl compact equipment.
    Get the HUSTLER and you will be happy!

8. DENNIS MOW

DENNIS MOW LawnSite Member

I have 2 hustlers cut great ride great i have the flex forks. Have had a scag nothing but problems with it. It fell apart drove a exmark it road to rough but you cant go wrong with a hustler. I love mine

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Never had a good cutting Hustler, only in certain area's and below 3".

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have had several Super Z's, and they are fast, well designed mowers. They cut better them some, but they are not the best cutters in my experience. If you cut low like Taccoma said they can cut very well, but I often cut higher.