Hustler VX4 Deck Versus XR-7 Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't the new deck use higher lift blades? and the old deck chute opening is smaller, those 2 things could be it?
  2. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

demoed the super z (2012) in preparation for purchasing one next year. Definately a great cut out of the vx4 deck. Tall fescue at 3.5 inches was great. Striped very decent and distributed clippings alot better than the xr7.
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 72" VX4 deck, and yes it does a good job of distributing the clippings, this is a product of the much larger discharge opening more than anything else.

My 66" XR-7 does a very good job in the dry stiff blade southern grasses I cut, and could see it doing virtually as well as my VX4 if the discharge opening was 6" larger.
  4. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Puppy paws, I should have asked you about this the other week on the phone. I really hate to hear this because this is one of the prime reasons I am getting rid of my mower - debris blowing back in my face from the front. It also seems like I will be making a significant downgrade from mower decks too.
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You can lower the adjustable front baffle to give the VX4 more suction which will prevent blow-out, I have never change the front baffle on my mower for the fact I deal with very few leaves, and if I do find the need I go to my mower with the XR-7 deck. You need to get information from those utilizing the smaller VX4 to see how it works for them, my 72 is a little different animal.

I went down yesterday to visit the dealer and check out a Hustler Super 104, when there I took a good look at the Hustler X-ONE, that is a very well designed and well built mower.