1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler wb on Ebay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Mar 9, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I just got outbid for a 48" 17 hp Hustler wb on Ebay with a sit down sulky, a bagger kit, mulching kit, and only 175 hours on it. I think the guy got $3650 for it. It looked great, and was claimed in excellent condition and was taken in as a trade by a dealer who wanted to sell it outside their area.

He'd have gotten more if he had the sense to return his emails and answer my questions. Geez. The guy is even a dealer of other makes. I wonder how much this guy is costing his company by being too lazy to answer a few questions. But his slackness made me wary. I just needed to know if he'd accept escrow or take a direct credit card payment, so I'd be protected against fraud. He said he'd talk to his partners and get back to me. He never did. He's a dealer...why wouldn't he take a credit card?

My local dealer quoted me $4999 for an e/s 17hp 48", $400 for the bagger, and $90 for the mulcher. Lord knows what the sulky is worth(not much to me, it looks cumbersome), but somebody must have had $6000 in the thing. Oh yeah, my local dealer took 3 weeks to reply to my email request for a price.

I'll probably never find another good used Hustler. But I have to tell you, their dealer network has NOT impressed me. Tis a shame, the mower looks hard to beat.
  2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have been watching the same mower for the last week, I can't believe what they got for this mower not that it wasn't a good looking mower but $3650 for a mower that you couldn't even see before you bought it is risky. I was going to bid $3000 for it earlier this week but I waited to see if it would reach $3000 before the last day. I can't believe what some of these mowers are bringing on ebay, I see that there is a scag 52 turf tiger liquid cooled kaw bringing good money right now and I have one just like it but with a 61 deck that I was going to put up for sale in the paper but after seeing what the 52 is bringing I am going to put it on ebay instead. Mine was used as a backup mower for the last 3 years and it has low hours and I just had my dealer rebuild the engine and I put a ton of new parts on it this fall (2 hydro pumps,clutch,gear box,tires).
  3. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have had the same experience on E-Bay. It seems like the people on there selling mowing equipment of any kind are among the laziest at answering e-mails.

I guess since they think they are saving you some money they don't feel obliged to provide any kind of customer service......customer service is what you are paying for when you buy in person from your local dealer.

I understand your fustration. I sell a lot of stuff on E-Bay and always make sure to answer every e-mail and provide answers to any possible questions in my item descriptions. I don't understand why anyone would do business any other way. Idiots I suppose.............
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I was hoping nobody watching EBay knew what a Hustler was! I was taking a big risk sight unseen, but I just need a hydro wb as a backup and didn't want to pay full price and eat the depreciation. I want a non-pistol grip hydro, so that eliminated some of the others.

Sight unseen, that is a lot of money, but with a half-season's worth of hours, that was a good price with the goodies it came with....IF it's really in excellent shape.

I have had great luck selling on ebay, and mowers in particular. Got $500 more on two (lazer hp and Toro belt drive) than I ever dreamed possible. Both to local buyers, who could inspect them, however, and both were in great shape.

I can't believe some of the fools selling mowers who won't take the time to wash the 2" of crud off them first. That's a $500 wash job, buddy.

And as for the lazy sellers....heck...I answer more promptly than these guys do when I'm selling a $10 item. I can't believe they don't have time to answer a question from someone with my 160 plus positive feedback when their other bidders have zero on just 1 feedback.
  5. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

People are generally stupid oir lazy when it comes to selling. I would never think of presenting an item for sale without cleaning it up first. But I don't know how many times I've went to look at a vehicle from the want ads and it sits there dirty. LaaaaaZeeee!!
  6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at it for the same reasons you were, I did e-mail them and they got back to me the same day. I was worried that someone on lawnsite was going to post about this mower and tell everyone about it before the auction was over causing it to drive up the price. No need to worry anymore because it went high regardless.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Me too.... Maybe that is part of why the prices on my stuff is getting so high because I respond quick to everyone and am helpful answering all questions honestly and getting additional pics when requested.