1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler WB question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, May 17, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I just purchased a 48" Hustler wb and when it was delivered the deck height seemed to be different from the front to the back. The front has three holes showing and the back only has two. It seems to cut fine like this. It looks like the back may be a little higher so this may explain the reason there are less holes showing to compensate? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Read your manual on how to adjust the deck hight. YOu can adjust it so that the pin is in the same hole in the front and back then just move the pins up or down to raise or lower your cutting hight. the front should be the same or slightly lower than the back but not higher. YOur dealer may have just threw the deck on and didn't level it correctly.
  3. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

You should have the same amount of holes showing front and back. Also unless you're cutting a golf course you need to raise the cutting hieght some right now you've got the front set at 2" and the back set at 1.5".;)
  4. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

On my 37" I have the fronts at 1 hole lower than the back with one spacer on the front and 2 spacers on the back. That will keep the front 1/4 inch lower in the front. It confused me for a while but I think I figured it out. If you use two spacers then each hole will count as 1/2 inch starting at 1" for the top hole. If you use 1 spacer than the top hole will start out at 1 1/4" and then 1 3/4" ect...ect.. I hope this helps.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Lordy I hope this question is from a homeowner.

We're getting some real grizzled vets in the biz posting here I see!

And to nobody in particular....

Call me crazy, but I would think that if you haven't mastered "adjusting deck height with pins", or having even read an owners manual for a commercial mower before, maybe you're not quite ready to be out there on your own as a lawncare "pro".

I'm not against new guys asking questions or getting into the business. But please, for the sake of the reputation of the rest of us in the business who are hoping not to be seen as a bunch of nitwits, go work for someone and learn what the heck you're doing out there before starting up a business. There's more to it than buying shiny machines and lettering for your pickup truck. I can't tell you how many times I see "premier lawncare" or other signs implyng some degree of expertise and knowledge that just isn't there.

Reminds me of the powerwashing "pros" who wind up ripping siding and shingles off homes.
  6. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same thing.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct