Hustler WB

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MTR, Dec 11, 2003.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hello, dropping in with a question on Hustler WB. Can someone point out or recommend any of Hustler WB that gives a very beautifully exceptional cut above others? I have seen several Hustler WB with H bar in action many times this year but it is so hard to see a "cut" that will change my mind. May be those guys don't keep blade sharp or other things, who knows.
    Anyway, please give some suggestion, and I might take a look at that machine sometimes this winter.
    best regards,

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the cut quality goes, My Super Walk-Behind with the 25 hp Kawasaki,54’’ deck and it gives me a great cut. I run double blades on mine most of the time and have plenty of power. Does it out cut Exmark/Scag or any of the other good brands out there? I doubt it, but I bet it cuts just as good. Like I said it has a great cut! I would not trade my SWB for any other brand out their period. Now since you want a comparison why don’t you compare the controls. I will say this nobody even comes close to Hustler’s H-bar. That’s a fact! Hustler is so far ahead of everyone else in this area that it’s not even funny. It doesn’t matter to me what machine you buy, you need to get what will make you happy. It’s your money spend how you want. But in my opinion NOBODY comes close to the Hustler walk-behinds.

Jeff

3. MTR

from Florida

Thank you for response, but I really must have the "cut" as the best feature. Yes, I completlely agree on H bar that is on top of others as far as control, but again if that 6k machine can not out-cut a 36" or 48" belt WB which cost only 1/3 of 6k then I doubt it ever gains following.
    The cut that leaves a property like estate-smooth looking and appealing to eyes is #1 priority for me, not leaving stringers there and here ...on and on. As soon as you finished and next day your customer called what machine you've used on my lawn, very beautiful cut, that what I want to hear and they don't care what control you have.
    best regards,

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

So Jeff........ You trying to take over my job (G). Great post...... and correct, too..............

As far as cut, if most of the currect top of the line machines don't cut similar, then something is wrong. They all cut well, but only one has the H bar.......................

5. J.Gordon

Just stating some facts Pete. And no one could take your place!
    Jeff

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

My hustler 48" definitely out cuts the 36" lesco belt drive it replaced. I tried everything with the lesco and had the best double blade set up I could come up with. raised the rpm's tried different deck pitches. I thought I had it about right. I was happy with the cut.

When I got the Hustler I could see the difference right away. With standard single blades it gave a great carpet like cut that the 36" never even came close to. I have added double blades and the cuts even better due to better clipping dispersal and air flow. I'm not sure how it could be improved.

And I would never give up the h-bar controls now.I just think faster,slower, turn... and that's what happens. It's that simple.

PS: I have also run Snapper 48" and 36" hydro mowers and they do cut nice but still not near the HUstler.

7. Doc Pete

Now just how do you mean that (VBG)........

8. J.Gordon

You asked so here you go!
    Pete when I was investigating Walk-behinds I called you for the other opinion. At that time you were about the only advocate for the Hustler line up. I have been in industrial maintenance for a quite a while. So I have worked on all kinds of equipment. I can weed through the closed minded Lemmings pretty quick. It didn’t take long after chatting with you to realize that the swb was the machine that I wanted. As far as I’m concerned you’re the reason the Super walk-behind came to be! You converted your Hustler to the super and then Hustler followed suit. And that’s what I meant by (And no one could take your place!)
    It’s the old Biased Bs that will always be in this world, Pete. My red or orange machine is the best out there! But in fact they are all so close together its not even funny. (When you take the H-bar and the speed of the Super Z out of the equation.) It’s true everything can be improved, and that’s what people should be doing, instead of only talking about it! There are so many Lemmings out there that want the best there is and think what Joe has, is all that and a bag of chips, and slam all other manufactures. And yes I am going to improve my Super walk-behind even more. There is a lot of room for improvement. But it is one heck of a machine! I would put it up against the Super Z or Exmark ZTR’s on my place any day. (Same size decks of course) how many people out there are running there machines stock, and then complain about the cut they got when they tested a machine they got from a dealer that was not set up right in the first place. I’m sorry dealers don’t know my equipment like I do. I’ll let them repair the stuff under warranty. (If anything would ever break) and I will get it to its full potential.
    You and Hustler are appreciated! Thanks

Jeff

9. Doc Pete

Gees, "nice post" somehow doesn't seem to come close to saying I "appreicate the kind words". Thanks,
    Pete

10. MTR

from Florida

I love to see your 48/23 SWB/bullrider going against eXmark TTHP 48/17/bullrider, I mean if possible the comparison of the "cut", stock or doubles either way. This will be my mission somehow in future, as long as 48" deck control the majority of WB market, besides 36" in close second.
    Also, I checked the blade tip speed on SWB and it is not 18500 fpm, so how it 's gonna do good with doubles? and with 23 hp why the speed is not over 18,500?