Hustler x one 54" overkill for 3 acres residential use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by slb9981, May 23, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on hustler x one for mowing 3 acres of residential mowing?

1. Yes, the x one is too much mower for 3 acres of residential use

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. No, the x one would be a great mower for 3 acres of residential use

23 vote(s)
    92.0%
  1. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

basically if you make 10 passes on the 60'', youll have to make 11 on the 54 to cut the same amount

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, over 3 acres 6" more cut per pass is huge!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. slb9981

slb9981 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the help so far. The dealer only has a demo in the 54" the 60" is $475 more?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. slb9981

slb9981 LawnSite Member

Ended up getting the 54". Thanks guys for the help and advice. I cant wait to try this sucker out. Headed out to get on it now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You will cut 10% off whatever your mowing time may be...Not that big a deal, but in a cutting season it will add up, less fuel, less maintenance, less blade sharpening, and more time for other things...Like an older gentleman told me once, he said, "son let me tell you something, your free time is the most important thing you will have in this life, take advantage of it."

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. slb9981

slb9981 LawnSite Member

Thanks. Just got finished. It took me about 3 more minutes (50 minutes total) than it did two weeks ago when I used a friends 60" x one.

This deck is incredible in terms of quality of the cut. I didn't see any clumping issues no matter what i through at it.

7. GMLC

50 min for 3 acres???? That mower must be fast!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. slb9981

slb9981 LawnSite Member

Lol.. I got 3 acres and a 2500 ft^2 house amd handful of trees... Actually 3.6 acres but i don't mow the 0.6 acres. I may be a little off but its definitely between 2.5 and 3 acres. Its all flat and very few obstacles.

Most of the charts.i saw showed over 3 acres for a 60" at 80% efficiency.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GMLC

In all honesty you may have cut an acre or so in 50 min. Puppy with his 72" near top speed may do 3 acres an hour on flat wide open mowing. Those charts arent real world conditions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You may have been overlapping a little more with the 60 than you realized, that is if the mowers are the same speed, and even with them listed as the same speed, the same mower can vary a slightly.

54 รท 60 = 0.90 This means with everything equal, the same speed, and the same overlap, the 54" deck will cut 90% of what the 60" deck will cut in the same time period. This means if it takes you 50 minutes, as you said with the 54, then it should take you 45 mins, or 10% of 50 mins being 5 mins less time with the 60".

Can you tell any difference in the feel or maneuverability between the 54 & 60. Even with mowers that are supposedly the same, there can be a difference in speed and feel.