1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler XR7 or Exmark Triton deck both have been bashed, so wich is better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Sep 20, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

First the Triton was trashed and the XR7 was great; now everyone is trashing the XR7. So wich is better (cut quality)?

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

The XR7 is great, I don't know what the He ll these pinheads are talking about.
  3. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

What exactly were the problems with the Exmark Triton deck, I have talked to some owners and they all say they like them. Definetly better than the XR7.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to know if anyone is running a mulch kit on their Triton?
  5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Exmark wouldn't even let me demo one. So that made my decision for me.
    Exmark used to be the best dealer around here but now you have to go far far away......... I'd be curious about the Triton cut , but the Hustler ride has it beat hands down, but thats only half of the equation. The deck looks like it would work great with all the adjustments setup like the Ultracut.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

But looks can be decieving....

They are actually having pretty similar issues with the Triton and XR7 in side discharge mode.
  7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Up here it doesn't matter none of them side discharge perfect everytime. I like to see them mulch well and the more lift the better. Only time will tell on the Triton. My XR7 is set to side discharge and it cuts cleaner than others I've seen pics of. I don't have the lift kit yet. But it will leave a little strip of uncut grass just inside the left front wheel if I go to fast or cut to high. But I still have to get rid of the clippings so as you know by now I doublecut it's taken care of. I could only dream of making 1 pass and the clippings totally disapear and the cut is perfect. Once in a while when mulching 1 to 2 inches of grass I only need to make 1 pass. But on regular weekly growth no way.
  8. Mark889

Mark889 LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

Envy where are they having problems with the Triton deck? What part of the country? Also how did you come about this information?

The owners of the xr7 that are having problems are cutting mostly cooler season grasses. They arent pinheads, the deck is just leaving stringers left and right. I demoed one, and it was the worst cut out of any zero turn I have been on.
  9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mulch kit for my triton and ran it for a week in the spring just to check it out. Worked pretty good but had to discharge because the growth was to heavy!

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

It is amazing how Hustler could get a deck so right and so wrong. According to when I talked to them last they are going to be making decks for Different parts of the country so you will be able to get what you want. How long this will take sounds like a while. The XR 7 works great for it's intended purpose. I can mow at full stick and no double cutting in applications I bought it for. It is a shame you guys are having problems and Hustler did not even bother to keep the old style deck around , Very ? able decision by them..