1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler XR7 or Exmark Triton

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, May 16, 2006.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there any guys out there that have you used both....which one do you like better personally i havent used either just seen them in person and honestly i think the xr7 looks like a better deck....what do you all think which works better in high wet grass
  2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

ANY ONE want to comment?
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The Hustler XR-7 reviews are better.

I haven't had a chance to run one myself yet though.
    But if I had to place a bet right now, my money would be on the XR-7.
  4. Qbal13

Qbal13 LawnSite Member

I'm wrestling with the same question.. I'm looking to buy my first ztr and was wondering which of these two mowers is better. I was also wondering if I should get an EFI motor? Any thoughts?
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 66" XR-7 with the 28 efi Kohler and all I can tell you is you would have to try it yourself before you could believe it. I have 36 hrs. on this mower and have not even sharpened the blades and it still cuts perfectly at 15 mph and I run it just as fast as it will run 75% of the time because my cutting is in large open areas. I have had two 27 Kohlers on 60" decks and there is no comparison in the productivity and fuel savings on this new mower and the old style. The flex forks allow me to cut faster in the places I would have to slow down before because they take the shock out of the ride. The Triton deck may cut just as good as the XR-7 but the Hustler will be a lot more productive in a day because it will cut so much faster.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't tried the xr7 deck, I hear alot of good about it and I would of liked to have tried it but the local hustler dealer is an idiot and driving 35 minutes is out of the question.

I'm not sure if I have enough time with the triton to really make a good review on it. At first it was great, I cut my lawn in the rain and it did great, I mean it cut better then my old w/b and the w/b had a good cut. I did one of my worst commercials with it last week, it did great there, the grass was at least 6-7" tall, cutting it at 3.5" full speed and it did again better then the w/b ever could manage. Flash to this week, and it's been on the down side. Today the ground was soaked of course and the mower was clumping pretty bad and leaving uncut strips of grass. The mower only has 4 hours of use on it, and I can't believe that the blades would be this bad and dull already, so I'm going to sharpen them tomorrow and see what happens. I also haven't touched the baffles. The other thing is, the deck is retaining ALOT of clippings under it, that was their big selling point that the 6" deck doesn't hold debris, well it's holding more with 4 hours of use then my w/b would hold in a whole month.

Again, I don't have much time with the mower, and the conditions are no where near favorable, so give me more time before my opinion really counts.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

And I have been just keeping my mouth shut because heaven forbid you don't follow the word eXmark with all praise and thanks.

The deck is deeper... the spindles are beefier... the blades are a little different... and the discharge kicker is adjustable.

Seems to do a little better, but overall it's much the same.
    Clippings collect in the same places, ect.

On the HP units, there is a bit more improvement due to the overall changes.

In the end though... I'll pass.

The new Hustler does interest me though.
  8. kc2006

I never had a problem before with the ultra decks, I loved that deck back when I used to use one. I was very close to going with a 60" 28hp efi ultra deck but it was too much money for me. Sadly the dealer didn't have anything like a 52" which I would of went with.

But again hopefully its just the blades. I will mention though, the quality of cut is very nice, if you double cut a lawn to get rid of any clumping or windrows it does look great. When I demo'd a hustler last year, it didn't clump didn't windrow but the quality of cut just was not there, it wasn't as fine a cut as the exmarks.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I have evolved into a bit of a butthole mower snobb, which became complete for the 4th of July last year... and every once in a while I let that slip out in a "very matter of fact" statement or two... most of which I have already said to myself while out working when no one was around. So here is my submission for today...

Boy oh boy do you ever sound just like me a year ago. Then one day I just said to myself... I said self... "what CAN'T leave a good cut and good stripes after going over everything 2 or 3 times?" ... as I was riding along by myself making a second pass.

And that was my personal wakeup call about the situation, and I decided that no my expectations were not being met, no my expectations were not too high, and no their was nothing wrong with finding something that did and settling for nothing less.

But yes, I know what you mean EXACTLY about the actual CUT itself. When on good cool season lawns for example, when the deck is totally clean, the cut itself can look very sucked up and cut off super crisp. It looks like it has been pulled up straight and cut off perfectly... even if that is burried in clumps or wind rows. It's like a lawn barber... or better yet that vaccuum hair cutting thingy that its on late night infomercials... LOL!
  10. kc2006

Envy (sorry I don't know your name) we think alot alike as you said. I bought this new mower because my 98 bobcat w/b was physically beating me up and unless I was there every 5 days I just couldn't keep up with the accounts, even slight over growth and I'd be double (sometimes triple) cutting the account. I saw it as a big loss in effeciency and just over all added costs of running that mower longer. Now granted that mower used hardly any fuel, I could go a full 10 hour day of mowing and it would still have a gallon or more left of the 4.5 gallon tank.

So when I went out and spend 8500 on a new mower I expected it to do a few things. 1, take the physical abuse off me and it has. 2, leave a nice manicured cut, it is. 3, no more double cutting even on a 7 day stretch in spring and be more productive, just not there from what I've seen so far.

I'm going to give it alittle more time, hopefully we dry out next week like they're saying and I'll run it through the whole route. If it doesn't do as I demand, somethings going to be done. I'll have my dealer check it over and make sure everything is right on deck adjustments and after that if it's still no dice, well I hope exmark can make good or I'll end up living with a bad hustler dealer. That was the big thing that killed me, hustler as a company is great, PJ is a great rep and the district rep was great, he drove 2 hours to bring me 3 mowers to play with because the local dealer won't allow demo's and kept trying to steer me away from hustler, if the local dealer was like hustler I would be driving yellow right now instead of red.