Hustler Z 25/60 vs Scag Tiger Cub 25/61

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lhenryp1, Mar 26, 2008.

1. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

I've started with a list of 6 or 7 machines and after talking with dealers and doing demos and a *lot* of research I am done to these two machines.

The Hustler Z 25 HP KAWASAKI /60" XR7 Deck 927772 A/B (HZ25KAW60XR7) is on promo now $7,499 but I cannot find a dealer anywhere near me that has a 2008 for this price. I love the way it handles, feels, serviceability and general looks but will not pay $1000 more than the promo price for a current year model, which is what I was quoted today.

The Scag Tiger Cub 25 KOHLER /61" Velocity Deck is on promo for $7499 also. All of the dealers around me have 2008 models in stock and all are offering the promo price (kind of nice not to feel like you are getting the shaft). I like the way this machine handles and feels but not as much as the Hustler. Serviceability appears to be the same on both machines.

From my research the velocity deck does not have any issues that I know of whereas the XR7 deck has a history of leaving strips of uncut grass. This is what worries me and has led me to lean to the Scag. I don't want to spend 8k on a machine that needs a fix kit to make it cut correctly, well hopefully cut correctly.

I do believe if the issue with the XR7 deck has been solved on the 2008 model and I could find one within a 100 miles for the promo price I would buy one. But it looks like I will be going with the Scag Tiger Cub 25/61 unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for listening.

Ex-Landscape Maintenance Guy

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The XR-7 cut issues are a thing of the past, almost 2 years ago in fact.
    You really need to demo and i think you will find the XR-7 to cut as good or better than anything on the market.
    As far as price goes, the promo price is optional per dealer, but I am sure we can get you working with a dealer to sell at promo price.
    Did you email me on this earlier? if so I forwarded your e-mail to our regional manager and you should of heard from him by now, let me know.

Pj

3. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

Yes, I did email you about this but haven't heard anything. I'll do my best to wait to hear from the rep.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I understand the rep did get with you.

5. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

Actually, the dealer gave me a call. I was very pleased to hear from someone. My locfal dealer said he would honor the promo price. I'll be deciding this week.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    Good.
    Our rep contacted the dealer and got him going for ya.
    Let us know how you decided.

Pj