Hustler Z 25/60 vs Scag Tiger Cub 25/61

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lhenryp1, Mar 27, 2008.

1. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

I've started with a list of 6 or 7 machines and after talking with dealers and doing demos and a *lot* of research I am done to these two machines.

The Hustler Z 25 HP KAWASAKI /60" XR7 Deck 927772 A/B (HZ25KAW60XR7) is on promo now $7,499 but I cannot find a dealer anywhere near me that has a 2008 for this price. I love the way it handles, feels, serviceability and general looks but will not pay $1000 more than the promo price for a current year model, which is what I was quoted today.

The Scag Tiger Cub 25 KOHLER /61" Velocity Deck is on promo for $7499 also. All of the dealers around me have 2008 models in stock and all are offering the promo price (kind of nice not to feel like you are getting the shaft). I like the way this machine handles and feels but not as much as the Hustler. Serviceability appears to be the same on both machines.

From my research the velocity deck does not have any issues that I know of whereas the XR7 deck has a history of leaving strips of uncut grass. This is what worries me and has led me to lean to the Scag. I don't want to spend 8k on a machine that needs a fix kit to make it cut correctly, well hopefully cut correctly.

I do believe if the issue with the XR7 deck has been solved on the 2008 model and I could find one within a 100 miles for the promo price I would buy one. But it looks like I will be going with the Scag Tiger Cub 25/61 unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for listening.

Ex-Landscape Maintenance Guy

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have them in Waco. I also have a demo for $6875 w/ full warranty.
    -Travis
    254-753-7900

3. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

I just might have to make the drive up to Waco and have lunch at a good restaurant....Oh wait you guys don't have any good restaurants :laugh:

But really, is it a 2008 model with the fixed deck that doesn't leave strips and does it have the ROPS?

4. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have the Hustler 2007 Super Z with the XR 7 deck, and have NEVER had any problems with the cut all last season.. What issue are you refering to? Anyone else seen this happen?

Also, this unit has a very low center of gravity, probably a waste of money to get the ROPS Just my .02

5. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

The issue about he xr7 can be found at http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=145981&highlight=xr7+leaving+strip and other places on this site.

You are right about the ROPS, I do not need them, However from what I understand is that ALL Hustler Zs will have them if they were made after 1/1/08 and that will be an issue if and when I every sell the unit. It is just like buying a *year old* unit right now for the price of a current unit.

If I am buying a new unit, I want the latest model especially if there have been noticeably changes to the units (Deck fix, ROPS). You are not going to buy a brand new 2007 truck for the same price as a new 2008/2009 model are you? So why settle for this in a 8K mower?

6. Texas Mower Parts

from Texas

Yes, I have the 08's in stock. The demo is a 07'. I'll take you to a nice resturant when you get here!

7. Texas Mower Parts

from Texas

As long as you buy a mower!:laugh:

8. lhenryp1

lhenryp1 LawnSite Member
    from TX

I'de like to take you up on that but the area rep contacted my local dealer who in turn contacted me and said he will honor the promo price and he too has a 2008 in stock. Now since the deck is not an issue and the price is not an issue I have to decide between the Scag and Hustler........HELP!

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I like Scag better. Just a personal preference. The seat is more comfortable IMO, and the Cub goes a little faster at 10mph. The Velocity + deck has a much larger discharge opening and will move more material out the chute than the XR7 (will do better in a thick grass situation). The front tires are smooth, vs the ribbed style on the Hustler (easier on turf). Timken tapered roller bearings on the spindles with a blowout valve to prevent overgreasing, vs sealed ball bearings on the Hustler spindles. Tapered roller bearings have a much larger load capacity than conventional ball bearings, plus with the blowout valve, you have less chance of contamination than regular greasable spindles. There aren't huge differences overall, but I think the Scag is a more solid design.

Which dealer do you like better? That has a big impact on this as well. Do they have a loaner available in the event yours goes down? Which one has a larger parts stock? More importantly, which one treats you better?

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Oh yeah, which color do you like better? :laugh: