1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Z 60

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tulsot, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Tulsot

Tulsot LawnSite Member

I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2007 Hustler Z 60" w/ a 25hp Kawasaki engine for my home use. I live in Tulsa OK and will be mowing a flat two acres with several trees. The grass is a mixture of bermuda and fescue. I have searched here and read about the Hustler xr7 deck issues but if I understand correctly they are resoved in the 2007 models. Would this mower be a good fit for my application? What is the lowest price I could expect to negotiate?

The only ZTR experiece I have is borrowing my neighbor's Grasshopper 220
    52" and it cut my lawn great, at least in my estimation.
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

You can't buy a better machine. I just got a 66" with 30hp kohler and love it. That said, I think it's way too much machine to justify with 2 acres. You could probably pay $75 to have it done and not worry about fuel, repairs and weedeating/blowing. That's not even mentioning the $7500 to 8500 you will pay for the machine. It will never be cost effective to buy a commercial Z for that size. You may be able to justify a used walk behind. Otherwise I recommend that you hire someone to do it locally. A lot of people will work for nothing.
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you want a new mower and to do your own thing, that is great you will enjoy it.

My dealer sells the Hustler Z 60"/25 Kawi for $7499.00 but I am pretty sure he said there would be a 4% increase in September.

If money is no object and you want to finish fast step up to the Super Z but if you enjoy mowing and speed is not an issue, you are looking at the right mower.
  4. Tulsot

Tulsot LawnSite Member

Anyone in my area have an 07?
  5. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Before you buy any machine DEMO it first on your property. If it cuts well for you the Hustler would be a great choice. You will love it. The Hustler mowers are the best built out there but some people have cutting issues. I sent back my 52" Super Mini because of the cut. I already miss it. Handles like a dream. The 60" machines do cut much better though.

You should have no problems getting a demo from your dealer. Hustler is a very customer oriented company. If your local dealers can't get you a demo contact PJ on the Hustler Forum. He will make it happen. He gets things done.
  6. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I'm wondering when the hustler haters will chime in. As for me i have a 04model 60" super-Z with the 28hp kohler EFI & it does a awsome job. I'd DEMO any mower first on your spread before buying though.
  7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

for two acres a z or super z i waaaaaay overkill. look at the fasttrak 21/54. it will run you about 1/2 the $. it also comes with a 4 yr HO warranty vs a 2 yr warranty for the Hustler commercial z's.
    i have a mini fasttrak and cut my 2 acres in about an hour. when i bought it i only had 1/2 ac. i will be upgrading to a 21/54.
  8. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

The 60" is a good size for 2 acre. You won't be spending much time on the mower.
    Demo it. If it cuts well you won't want to give it back.
  9. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I have acouple of 60" 2007 super-z's and not one problem. Hustler makes the most quality machine out there....I prefer the E.F.I, but in your case go with the 25 h.p.:weightlifter: :usflag:
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

There is no such thing as overkill to a home owner that has plenty of money.
    You buy whatever you want because "the only difference in men and boy's is the price of their toys".