Hustler Z 66" or Super Z 66" What is the difference.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MJB, Jul 30, 2006.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Can anyone explain the difference to me? I only have info on the Super Z. Looks like they both come with the same options. Does the Super Z have bigger pumps or what?

Also when demoing the 66" Super Z the 26hp L/C Kawi would have low oil pressure warnings if I idled it back to fast. If I did it in stages it woulsd not happen. If I pulled the all the way back and cut off the blades the engine oil buzzer would come on, or it would die with no load on the engine. After 6 hrs or so it worked normal never happened again. Anybody know why this happened. Was it because the engine was not broke in. I had no instructions for the 3 day demo regarding engine breakin etc.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Z's have a suspension seat as standard equipment, it also has larger pumps and wheel motors, hydro coolers, hydro cooler fan and 15mph ground speed.
    The added benefits of the Super Z will be well worth the added $'s you will spend up front, the extra productivity of the Super Z will pay back the $ difference in no time....
    I am not quite sure why the oil alert would do that, I am leaning towards the engine breaking in, was it brand new? how many hours were on it when you picked it up?

3. MJB

from Wa

Brand new. Does it hurt an engine to go beyond the initial breakin by 15 hrs?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That is something you would have to ask the engine mfg, but I would not go past 5 hours or within reason before changing it.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler says they run the engine then drain and put new oil back in the engine before it is shipped. They said you could run the engine 100 hrs. before filter and oil change,that is what they said they were designed for unless you are in extremely dusty conditions constantly and then you should change every 50 hrs. This is what the engine distributor says this is not my recommendation I change every 50 hrs. whether it needs it or not. They are saying since they run the engine at the factory it is not necessary to change the oil at 5 hrs. the way we use to, this is their opinion and not mine you do what you feel confortable with, in life all you really have to satisfy is yourself and the government.

6. MJB

from Wa

Thanks Thats good to know. I will still change it around 10 hrs at again at 60. I was worried about proper breakin on a demo unit I tried. I bought the 30 hp instead anyway.