hustler z and 37" wb problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by captken, Jun 1, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Deal with control cables and pull rope. On the Hustler Z, it is the choke cable. Got stiff, lubricated with penetrating oil, followed by engine oil, started gettingt stiff again, more oil, eventually the choke knob pulled off. this has happened twice, I'm about to install the 3rd cable. I couldn't stop due to no back up machine during down time to have the dealer replace the cable, and I ended up replaced the cable with another on my own. The same thing happened. Is there an issue with the mounting location {straight up and down, easy to get moisture into it} or the routing of the cable, near a heat source {engine} ? on the new one I made sure oil got inside where it needs to be.
    This is a minor annoyance on an otherwise outstanding machine, however, the locked on vise grip looks, well, scrubbish. It is annoying to me.

The second issue concerns the 37" walkbehind I just purchased. The machine has 43 hrs and has had the throttle cable replaced once already, due to binding. The choke will not close every time, making the starting process iffy, it might fire right up, on the first pull, or you have to play with the trottle some, moving the throttle back and forth in order to close the choke, an be prepared to pull it quite a few times until you find the right spot. In addition, the starting rope has approx. 6 inches of slack before it spins the engine. After pulling to start the machine 3 or 4 times, playing with the throttle cable, the rope slack increases to about a foot, then you left with tugging the slack, to get the rope to reel back in some more, so that you get a decent pull. You also have to also "Fish" around once it's started and pulled back from the choke position to get max. rpm.
    The dealer replaced the cable, and it never was really right.
    Is there an issue with the cable on other machines?

Whats up with that?

What is the fix?

The only thing that I can see that would cause the throttle cable to bind, would be the hold down screw

Trying to start the wb on a loaded trailer with this problem is not fun.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The choke cable on the Z is a issue with corrosion inside the cable, this does not happen on every cable.
    We have gone to a new cable that prevents this from happening.
    Make sure your dealer has the latest cable, the part # has not changed.
    As for your WB cable, I would have your dealer check cable routing, I have not heard any complaints on this issue before, I will forward this to our service department for any comments they may have on this issue.
    Your recoil issue, sounds like your recoil needs to be lubed and or the spring re-tensioned. Again a item your dealer should be able to fix quite easily.
    Hope this helps
    Pj

3. captken

thanks for hearing me out pj.

yal really listen to us.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You said it !!!
    Customer satisfaction !!!!
    We take care of our customers !!!
    From the guys and gals that work on the factory floor to the guys that sell them all the way to the President of the company, we care !!!
    Thats why Hustler is the most up coming and fastest growing commercial mower mfg in the market today.

Thank you for your patronage.

Pj Dufault
    Hustler Turf Equipment

Hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

5. captken

got my mowers in on rain day monday before noon. Both ready to roll on tuesday, 8am. new cables operate fine.
    cust. satisfaction from dealer.