Hustler Z Changes

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gmtrailertrash, Apr 25, 2007.

1. gmtrailertrash

gmtrailertrash LawnSite Member
    from Okc, OK

Just took delivery of my 25/60 "Z". The deliveryman was excited that this mower was the new "A" model. It is model 927772A. I took one look and asked why the airfilter is now mounted low. It no-longer has the familiar yellow arch with the airfilter on top. The airfilter is mounted directly to the engine. The airfilter is also difficult to open as it interferes with the heat shield around the muffler. After opening the filter, wrenches were required, the mower now has two filter elements. This is all pretty surprising after reading much discussion on the merits of mounting the airfilter high and only using one element in the filter for better breathing.

There are other changes to the "A" model but this one is the biggest IMHO.

David

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We have very recently started using the Kawasaki 25hp with their air filter set up on it, it is a 2 filter set up.
    This is only being used on a couple models.
    The A version of the model has nothing to do with the air filter setup.

3. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Yuck. Seems like a step backwards I agree.

4. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a "B" model 25/60 I'm Glad I got the canister mounted up high.. I had the stock filter on my old dixe chopper and junked it for the canister at 300 hrs. I got tired of nuying/ servicing filters..

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The air filtration system is the stock Kawasaki 2 filter cannister system, it is a commercial heavy duty set up.

Pj

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The B model has nothing to do with the air filter set up.
    You happen to have a B model that was built before we switched to the engine with the cannister filter on the engine.

7. Imow4u2

I think you mean, "before you cheapened them up" Right, PJ ?

I'm just ribb'in ya... I'm glad I got the good filter, I can't see running a commercial machine without one.. The stock filter requires way to much babysitting.. I replace my canister filters once a season..

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The cannister system on this engine is stock and is commercial, it does not require babysitting.
    This is the same exact filter system Kawasaki uses on all their engines with cannister type filters and it is also used on about every brand of commercial mower out there.
    We did not cheapen them up with this engine.

Pj

9. Imow4u2

O.K. I'm was'nt sure what stock filter you were refering.. The one I had in '02 was a small filter with a wrap under a plastic cover, it was too "Briggs & Stratton" for my taste.. If what you're talking about is a 4 inch diameter filter in a 5 inch diameter "Can" then all I would ***** about would be the low mounting height...

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is the can / cannister type round filter.
    Here is a pic...

[​IMG]

Pj