Hustler Z leaves deep tire marks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Hustler Z last fall. It cuts evenly without leaving stringers, but it leaves bad tire marks. It's not the normal darker looking tire marks you would notice from the grass being laid down. These look like ruts. Has anyone else had the same experience? I own a Dixe Chopper and it doesn't leave these ruts, I'm thinking maybe it is because of the atv type tires on the Dixie. But I honestly haven't seen any other mower leave ruts like this. The ruts are not the kind you would expect to see when cutting a wet lawn. These are just shorter areas of grass the width of the back tires. I know it can't be normal because I don't know anyone that would be happy with this quality of cut. I didn't use it last fall and took it to my dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They also didn't have any grass to test it on (it was dormant already). I took it back to the dealer today after talking to Hustler (which is doing it's best to help), but I dought they have any grass to test it on now either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Soupy

I want to add that I bought this mower used with 28 hours on it with full warranty.

3. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

What is the exact size of the rear tires on the Hustler ?

What is the tire brand , and tread model name ? Like Carlisle is the brand, and "turf saver" is a particular tread design.

What air pressure do you normally keep in the rear tires ?
  4. Soupy

It has the stock tires on it. I believe they are turf master's. I have tried all different tire pressure. Hustler recommends 8-10psi. I have it set to 9psi now.

I have tried several blade combinations and have tried it with and without a mulch kit.

I measured the blades yesterday and the right side was 3/16 higher in the back and the left side was even. the front of each side was the same. This is what the dealer is going to fix this week. I just don't see how that small of a adjustment is going to help. I could understand if I had stragglers, but I'm leaving huge tire indents in the ground.

The mower cuts clean and holds hills great. I love everything about the mower except for the tire marks. My other mowers cut worse (stragglers) but don't leave tire Marks. I would rather have a few stragglers then tire marks any day.

I am in no way trying to bash hustler, they have been good to me trying to figure out the problem. They say it shouldn't be leaving tire marks, but have not seen the problem in person. I just don't see what it can be except for the huge tires. But I have not heard anyone else complain about this. I bought this mower when the grass was dormant (so I didn't test the cut) and purchased it because of Hustler's reputation on lawnsite. Plus the fact that it was a pleasure to drive on pavement.
  5. Soupy

6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly the same problem we had with the 36inch stander last year. It would leave ruts like that on lawns in mid July when it is extremely dry. I am not sure about the Hustler but the Stander's compact design might have something to do with our problem. I think it weighs around 660 and then add the operator directly on to the tires more or less. If it has rained within a few days, forget about it. We are selling ours for that very reason. Good luck
  7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I'm confused:confused:
    Are you having issues with the tires or the quality of cut? Are you saying it has the Turf Boss tread design, like a Dixie?
  8. Soupy

No, it has the same tires that come on all Hustlers. I'm having problems with the finished result after cutting. I don't know if it is the tires or something to do with the deck setup.

All I know is that when I use the Hustler to cut grass, It leaves a uneven look. It looks like ruts but the ground itself isn't rutting, the grass appears to be lower on each side. The lower parts are the width of the tires. The grass doesn't lay over it actual appears to be shorter or just pushed down. It's really hard to explain.

I thought it was the offset blades, but I tried gators on it and it didn't help. I also tried doubles with the offset blade on top and the gators on bottom. This makes both blades about the same height in cut. Nothing I have tried works.

I am using a Hustler Z on mostly cool season grass.
  9. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the grass that gets run over by the wheels (due to the weight of the machine) will have a different look than the grass thats laid over by the vaccum from the deck.
  10. Soupy

I understand that the grass laid over by the tires will leave a darker stripe. But this looks completely uneven or rutted when finished.

If no one else is having this problem then it can't be the tires. It has to be a vacuum problem with the deck.

I'll wait and see what the dealer says. Last fall when I took it in they tried to tell me the deck needed scraped. The problem there was, the day before I took it in I scalped my lawn with it (I was aerating) and forgot to tell my worker to scrape the deck before he took it in. I tried to explain to the dealer that I wasn't a newbie and always keep the decks clean and the blades sharp when the mower is being used. This time I made sure the deck was clean and the blades were sharp.