Hustler Z or Bobcat Procat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hawkeye, Jan 20, 2010.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

what are the main differences between the two- I understand they are both built well but which one will be a better choice. Is there much of a difference in cut quality and price?

2. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

I have a Mini Z, it cuts great and I am very happy with the quality. I have never operated a pro cat and I have never heard a bad word about one. The Pro Cat looks like a nice machine though and comes in faster than the regular Z. I think you are coming down to dealer choice here. Also if you have a Gravely dealer around you go check out the XDZ 252 this is more comparable to a Super Z, I took one on a demo and was extremely impressed, they are built like a tank, 13mph, big pumps & wheel motors, huge tires and the X factor deck. I think that its cheaper than the regular Hustler Z too.

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have a predator pro and zt225 bobcats. love them both. there are 2 procat models, a dx and a........something. make sure the procat has the larger drive pumps, i believe they are 12cc. my zt has 10cc and is slow, my predator pro has 16cc and is very fast. ive been very happy with the cut, performance and stabilty. ive never used a huslter but they look very similar.

id look into price, warrantee, and DEALER differences. a good dealer makes a huge difference when it breaks and it will break

4. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

I appreciate the response so far- lets say these two models are close in price is there any difference in cut quality and or ride quality?

5. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go Hustler. Thats just me, don't really have anything against bob cat, just seems to be a better overall machine.

6. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned them both and the Bob-Cat cuts northern grass better and the Super Z rides better.

7. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Im biast for Hustler casue we sell them. But I have rode the bobcat and they are a nice mower. They just dont have as nice of a ride quality as the Hustler does, nor does it do as well on a hillside. Cut is good on both machiens. It will come down to dealer support. As a Hustler dealer I can stay as a company they are top knotch at standing behind thier product.

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Kinda what he said but the opposite. We sell the Bobcats. Dont really see many Hustlers around here. The Bobcat are good simple workhorse machines. Not much has changed on the ZT200's in many years. If it works, dont try to fix it.

All current Procats come with 12cc pumps except I think that DX model which is a bit newer. That one comes with a smaller engine, smaller 10cc pumps and I think a cheaper seat. Every other Procat has a suspension seat on it(not sure about hustler but for example Toro charges extra to add suspension seats or they used to on the Z400/500 series). Older ZT200's came with 10cc pumps. They went to 12 a few years back.

9. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

Tell us what two models your looking at so we can do a true comparison your leaving it to far open. With both companies offering several different models. Its impossible to compare unless you give us the models you are interested in between the two manufacturers. I do know that Bobcat is making a big attempt to try and make several new models similar to what we offer in Hustler. That right there tells me were doing something right. I mean we did invent the ZTR after all. But for any price comparisons and unit info. I'll be glad to help am very knowledgable of both machines.

10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Been looking at both a Hustler and a Bobcat. What is the diff. between a Z and a SuperZ. Sure can save alot money over my Scags but is it the right move.