Hustler Z or Bobcat Procat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hawkeye, Jan 20, 2010.

1. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the answer on the frame that would make some diffrence to me. I like the bobcats frame because it is totally rebuildable.

Other than the engine configuration on the big dog which I personally like better and I like the scalp wheel brackets on the big dog better what are the real diffrences in the two machines. I understand the warranty probably will not be as good to keep pricing down but what components on that machine is inferior to it's yellow cousin?

2. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

The Big Dawg Deck is 11 gauge deck plate with an 11-gauge deck plate doubler with 7-gauge triplers at each spindle mount Solid 1 in x 3/8 in flat steel flat bars reinforce impact areas on trim edges.11-gauge reinforced front edge. Steel deck housing is 5.59 in (14.2 cm) deep to provide room for highcapacity mowing. Molded rubber discharge chute. The Big Dawg also uses our older Fuel tanks NON translucent and only 10 gallons. Less frame on the Rear of the machine for strength and engine protection. No reinforced gussets on Deck antiscalp wheels like XR-7 deck.

The Hustler XR-7 is Construction 7 gauge deck plate with an 11-gauge deck plate doubler with 7 gauge triplers at each spindle mount (nearly 1/2-in thick!) Solid 1-1/2 in x 1/2 in flat bars reinforce impact areas on trim edges. 7 gauge reinforced front edge. Steel deck housing is 5.80 in (10.16 cm) deep to provide room for high-capacity mowing. Hustler XR-7 decks were the solution for poor cutting decks that are now being used on the BIG DAWG. Molded rubber discharge chute. Hustler uses translucent fuel tanks with 14.5 gallons capacity. Reinforced gussets on antiscalp wheels. And stronger frame with more engine protection.

3. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I will take your word for most of the explanation but One thing I have noticed is the big dog has a double post on the antiscalp wheels were the hustler does not. I have been the single post setup with a yazoo and got sick of buying wheels all the time because the bolts would break off.

Now that I read your post again is the big dog mower deck the old hustler super z deck?

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Who really breaks frames and decks on ZTR's? Sure it could happen and if so weld it. No big deal. Companies should focus more on cut, dependability and ride and less on overbuilding things. Even consider weight a 1500-2000lb ZTR can cause issues.

5. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

Yes your correct. With the exception of the center antiscalp wheel.

6. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

so are the Bobcat and Hustler close in cut quality or is there a clear difference between the two?

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

My Bobcat cuts thick grass beautifully. It stripes very nicely too. I don't have any striping kit on. Not sure about Hustler. I don't really want to say what I have heard. I will let somebody with a machine tell about that. You don't see very many of them around here though. Mostly you see Scag/Bobcat, Exmark, Wright, basically in that order.

8. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Bob-Cats have allways cut better and striped better then the Hustler, and yes the hustler is built better and has a life time frame warraty for there sales pitch but who cares in 15 years Ive never seen a frame bend on any commercial mower!

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why car companies don't advertise ridiculous things like frame warranties only us lawn guys are dumb enought o buy into that. Has Ford ever advertised frame warranties for F250's? ZTR's should be giving gurantees on cut quality and drive systems.

10. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true and I know for a fact that my dealer/Hustler has had to buy back machines because of cut qaulity. Hustler claims they fixed the problem they had with the 2006 xr7 deck so last winter I gave them a chance once again on a 2009 only because it was $7500 otd for a 60" super z(and the sales manager is a close friend), long story short I dont own it anymore and went back to Exmark and thats where I will stay!