Hustler Z problem removing rear wheel hub

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ren, May 25, 2008.

1. Ren

Ren LawnSite Member

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find it. I need to replace the studs in the rear hub of my Hustler Z. I have the wheel off, but it looks like my next step is to remove that 1.5" hub bolt. Man, that bolt won't budge. I'm using a socket and breaker bar and turning it counter clockwise. Does this have a reverse thread? I'm at the point of heating the bolt but I want to make sure heat won't do any damage inside. Any ideas?
    Thank you for your help.

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't heat it up, you may damage wheel motor. Even if you get the nut off, you need a special puller for the drum. Available through Mac/ Snap on for about $200.00 if I remember correctly.Drum is a press fit on shaft.

3. Ren

Ren LawnSite Member

Thank you Sharpcut. I thought I could get this done quick to do lawns tomorrow.
    Sounds like the right thing to do is use my backup mower and bring this to the Hustler dealer and get in line to get it done. Thank you again.

4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I did my hubs, and got a wheel hub puller from discount auto parts. They have a loan a tool program. You pay full price and then when you return it in good condition they give you your money back. I think that I used an impact gun to remove the bolt.

5. Ren

Ren LawnSite Member

Thank you. Before I give up I will try my auto parts store for
    the puller.
    Thank you.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Even with the puller, it's tuff to get them off. I've had many hubs that just wouldn't budge. When you use the puller, crank it down to where you think you'll break it, then crank it down some more. When you think you've hit the max on the puller, start hitting the hub with a hammer, but not too hard.

P.S. stand to the side of the hub. I've popped off hubs that have shot 10 feet accross the shop floor.

7. Ren

Ren LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your help. I couldn't get the puller, and it sounds like
    that was not going to be an easy fix if I did, so I'm going to give up the
    Hustler for a couple of days and have the mechanic fix it.
    Thanks again.

8. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I have an exmark laxer z 52 and I had to replace the studs also and after removing that big bolt it still had no intention of coming off so I examined it all and found I could pop the studs out and slide the new ones in enough to get the lug nut onto it so it could tighten in. Worked for me maybe it might for you and that eliminates removing that drum. good luck

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

hustler uses drum brakes no way to get behind the drum