Hustler Z specs wanted before buying

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnwon, Nov 2, 2006.

1. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi: I'm looking at the Hustler Z in the 60" 25hp Kaw. in a 2006 model. I'd like to know what brand, model, and size of the pumps and wheel motors. I'd like to also know the brand, and ft. lb. of torque rating on the PTO clutch. Thanks for any info on these specs.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

25 HP is not big enough. Go with the 28 EFI. They use Borg-Warner 200 ft lb clutch, I belive. I get 300 to 500 hours per clutch...Not good..

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. johnwon

Thanks for the help on the info I was looking for. The spec. sheet didn't mention the PTO clutch. I guess if it is a Borg-Warner 200 FT. Lb. it is not something to point out and be proud of.
    By the way what is the cost to buy a new one for this machine, not including labor? Thanks

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The clutch is what 95% of the manufacturers use. I got 1500 hrs out of the same clutch on my Lazer. Now the Hustler uses a vertical shaft design....maybe this creates longevity problems, but the clutch itself is properly matched for the job at hand.

As for the pumps.... Hydro Gear BDP-21

As others have said, 25hp Kawi isn't enough for this ZTR. Go with the 28 EFI Kohler, or simply wait a year until the Big Kohlers are offered.

6. johnwon

As for the 25hp not being enough for the Hustler Z....I was told by a dealer that it was good for that machine but not so good for the Super Z. The bigger pumps & wheel motors rob more power than the smaller ones on the regular Hustler Z. The regular Hustler Z won't come with the 28EFI at least on a 2006 model they told me.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The dealer has a machine he needs to sell. There is not that much differance between the Z and Super Z with the pumps and wheel motors, 3 MPH. Neither one has enough torque for hills. If your mowing mostly flat land, then you will get by ok.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That's what i was thinking. You're talking about a Z, not a SuperZ.

9. johnwon

Thanks; I'm still on the fence. There are a lot of better prices now being we're at the end of the season.
    As for 60" deck....is 25hp under powered for most all brands of ZTR??
    I'm also looking at a Gravely 160Z with the 25hp Kaw and may have the same deal here as for lack of power?? Thanks

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

With 27's being the standard Kohler power on the 60" class, a 25 Kawi is still a tad behind the Kohler on power. If you don't mind slowing down a bit on hills and deep grass, the 25 will do fine. Also, if you've never had anything near this powerfull, then you don't know what "more" feels like. Same goes for the speed of the Super-Z. For those that don't know what it feels like, they won't miss it.

There are LOTS of 60" ZTR's out there with 25hp Kawi's on them. The Kawi is a stronger feeling engine than most others in its power class. However, with only 675cc's though, they are on the smaller size for the class.

As for the pump specs I gave above, disregard them.... they are different for the Regular Hustler Z.