hustler z steering adjustment

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by roadking35, May 16, 2003.

1. roadking35

roadking35 LawnSite Member

I have just purchased a hustler z 60' with 25 kaw...
    When both steering levers are in the same position while moving forward the machine will tend to go right.
    After studying the owners manual I am a little concerned that any adjustment that I do to the steering to compensate may effect the machines ability to be at rest when in the neutral position.
    Maybe I'm being to picky? Is this normal, or should the levers be even when not turning. I seldom run at full forward speed (against the stops).
    thanks for any advice!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes they should be even, and no your not being picky.
    The adjustment should be very small and should not affect your neutral adjustment.
    The manual shows it step by step and it is very simple.
    First check to make sure your levers are bolted on and adjusted even.
    Second, check to make sure they are both even at the neutral point or resting against the reverse tensioners.
    If you feel you cant do this with out messing up another adjustment, take the unit to your dealer and ask him to, they should be more than happy to take care of it for you.

Hope this helps
    Pj

3. roadking35

roadking35 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply,
    Both levers are even at neutral, they are not even at full forward or when going straight... yes I believe that I can do the adjustment no problem as per manual direction..I was concerned about the creeping problem that might be associated with this adjustment. The levers are installed correctly.

4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he has the left bolt threaded to far out, the bolt that I am talking about is the bolt that acts as a stopper for the levers so that you hit the bolt when you push the levers all the way forward instead of the frame, if you loosen the nut and thread the left bolt in one revoulution or two depending on how bad it is pulling it will stop the left lever from going as far forward which should make the left and right lever equal when you push them all the way forward. I don't know the correct term that they use for these 2 bolts but I am sure that mowerconsultant does and he will probably be able to explain it alot better then me, if you had the machine in front of me I could fix your problem in about 2 minutes but instead it has taken me 15 minutes to explain it and I still haven't explained it very well.