Hustler z vs. Gravely 260z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boelterhomes, Jul 1, 2004.

1. boelterhomes

boelterhomes LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a ztr for personal use. I've narrowed it down to a Hustler z with Kaw 25hp & suspension seat, and a Gravely 260z with Kaw 27hp LC. Both are demo's with less than 50hrs, and both are priced the same. Any thoughts?

2. LikeBrothers1

LikeBrothers1 LawnSite Member

hey if i was u i would get the 260 it is a real good mower and it cuts good how much land do u cut

3. boelterhomes

Hi, Thanks for responding. I cut around 8 acres, but I want the handling of a 60". The place rolls and is rough in areas.

4. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Based on my demo experience, the Hustler deck does a great job on already manicured lawns. If the grass is very tall or wet, it will tend to clump or windrow slightly more due to the fact it is not a flow through style deck. However, it is an incredibly well built machine and in normal conditions it will do fine.

The Gravely will handle deep/wet stuff slightly better due to its overall deck design. However, I don't think the rest of the machine is as heavily built as the Hustler.

For average homeowner use, I think either one will work fine. My vote would probably be for the Hustler over the Gravely based on my experience. For you to decide, you need to demo both of them side by side on the same grass - that's what I did and I was glad I did.

The Hustler (in my view) is a much more solid and well engineered unit than the Gravely but I don't think you would regret buying either unit.

I also just saw that you were comparing a 25hp Kaw (air cooled?) versus the 27 hp LC. Any reason for the difference? For me, if you can buy the LC for the same price as a different unit that is air-cooled that tells you something - that the LC unit is most likely a somewhat lower quality unit than the air cooled one if you are comparing apples to apples.

5. boelterhomes

Wow. Great information. Thank you. My thought on the LC vs. air cooled unit being the same was because of two different dealers. I didn't consider quality, just thought the Gravely dealer was more aggressive about moving his demo. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm just a carpenter and this is for use on our farm. I currently pull a 90" Woods Mower behind a Ford diesel tractor, but both units are taking their toll on my bad back, and the time it takes with the Woods is time I don't have, so suggestions from someone who knows is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if the ride is that bad perhaps look into a Ferris ZTR with suspension. I've got a 260Z and it is an awesome machine no doubt, but sometimes i wonder if i'm cutting a lawn or going offroading down a washboard road.

7. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I have the 260z and it is an awsome machine and have done a lot of wet cutting lately due to so much rain. My vot e goes to the 260z

8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 27/60 Super Z. It is extremely well built, easy to maintain,fast and sticks to slopes. As far as the discharge is concerened, I use doubles and the clumping (except for saturated grass) is 98% eliminated because it disperses the clippings by throwing them further and chopping them finer. Fit it with an OCDC and you will be set.

9. boelterhomes

Thanks Tim. How do you feel about the Hustler Z vs. your Super Z? Tom

10. Lawnmedics

Lawnmedics LawnSite Member

Our lawn service has a hustler and a Gravely. I say the Gravely and my wife says the Hustler. Both have pros and cons but pretty much do the same job. The Hustler seems to be faster but the Gravely to me is more relaible. We both Love our Toro the best though. Good Luck deciding.