1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Z vs. Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Nebraska, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to buy a 60" rider in the next day or two..

Why should I buy the Hustler?

Parts? Where do I find parts online? Jthomas seems limited for Hustler parts?

Thanks for the help.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are a ton of reasons why you should buy a Hustler !!
    Do some searches here on LS and you will see.
    A couple I can tell you off the top of my head are:
    Heavier duty than anything else on the market.
    Heavier frame, stronger built deck (both have a lifetime warranty, leading edge on deck)
    Lower ride height = better slope performance less hitting branches.
    More fuel
    Cast iron spindle housings.
    2 year bumper to bumper warranty
    3 year warranty on spindles
    Lifetime guarantee against leaks on hoses and fittings
    Super Z faster than anything on the market.
    Most compact 60" Z in its class only 75" long

There are a ton more too.......
    As for aftermarket parts availability goes.....The Hustler Z's and Super Z's have common parts with other oem's out there (clutches, pumps, wheel motors, engines)
    The blade spindles are particular to the Hustler, but the blades are available aftermarket.
    Belts are made to our specs by the same companies that other oem's use also.
    The Hustlers are relatively the new Z on the market as far as mid mounts Z's go (3 years), I assume the aftermarket companies want to make parts available for machines that break down more often.....lol.....

Hope this helps
    If you have any more questions just post them here or you can e-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

3. Nebraska

I was one of the first in my area to buy the Great Dane but since then we have evolved and have the need for high production mowers. I am leaning towards the Hustler over the Lazer Z.

1. Is there any difference in the quality of cut and the ability to handle thick, wet spring growth between the Super Z with a 25 Kaw and a Lazer Z 27 Kohler???

2. Why do I not see many Hustlers in my area? Omaha, NE.
  4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler will handle the thick wet spring growth as well or better than any mower out there.
    We use a high lift blade standard, and that combined with the high blade tip speed will get the grass out of the deck fast.
    The baffle design also contributes to a excellent cut.

As far as comparing a 27 Kohler to a 25 Kawasaki, obviously there is a 2hp difference there.
    But 25 Kawasaki has good torque, but the 27 Kohler has better.
    Here are the #'s
    25hp Kawasaki 41.2 ft lbs @ 2400 rpm
    27hp Kohler 42.7 ft lbs @ 3000 rpm
    The 27 reaches a higher torque @ a higher rpm, so you have more usable torque at the throttle range you will be running your unit.
    If you want the 27 buy a Hustler with a 27 Kohler, they are just coming off the production line this week.
    Have your dealer order you one, if he does not already have it coming.

As far as not seeing as many Hustler's in your area goes......Like I mentioned in the previous post we are the new guy on the block in the mid mount Z market, although we have been making zero turn front mounts for almost 40 years, we were a small company, in the last 3 years we have exploded with dealer growth and market share in certain markets.
    Give it time you will see plenty of units in your area, as well as every major market in the country.

Hope this helps
  5. Nebraska

Honestly where and when would one notice what seems to be a slight difference in the torque?
  6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Any extra hp or torque you can get in the spring heavy growth is going to help.
    I was explaining the differences because you were comparing the Exmark with the Kohler 27hp to the Hustler with the Kawasaki 25hp.

7. Nebraska

Well P.J.

I had a demo this afternoon. Hustler Z with 25HP Kaw. It ended up being the best time to demo one considering the fact that we had about 1/2 inch of rain, everything still overcast, and everything still wet. It was absolutely amazing on all the properties, each greater than 20,000 SF, had about 6 or more inches of growth on them and were SOPPING WET!. The mower handled it just fine with no need to double cut and no clumping absolutely what so ever. Compared to the demo of the other brand here is my assesment:
    1. Heavier duty
    2. Simplier set up and system (it's not a rolling hardware store)
    3. Smoother ride
    4 Smoother operation (you can't get the steering to even give the slightest jerk)
    5. Better warranty (lifetime on the front part of the deck)
    6. About $600 - $900 less
    7. Even one of my employees ( that has run Dixie Choppers, Lazer Z's, Turf Tigers, Bobcat, & Lesco Z's and has more experience behind a mower than I ever care too) said, "this thing is the Harley Davidson of mowers!"
    8. The quality of cut is by far equal to if not superior.

We are impressed!

We go pick one up on Monday....and maybe a second one shortly thereafter.

Anyone else out there who has not tried the Hustler Z needs to before they consider buying anything else.