Hustler Z vs Scag tiger cub 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffy77, Feb 21, 2005.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a Zturn and have narrowed it down to two mowers. The scag tiger cub 24hp honda 52" deck or a Hustler Z 23hp kawi 52" deck. I did a thread last week on your opions of hustler. I had a good response. I live in southern wv and have never seen Hustler, only exmark, toro, and scag. So this hustler dealer is the first around and I dont know anything about it. I rode a demo on a flat parking lot but nowhere on a hill or cut any grass. I need a mower that can stay on the side of a hill. Do these zero turns stay on the side of a hill when cutting side to side or do you guys cut it up and down. I need a mower that can stay on a hill. I have always used a walkbehind but would like to try a rider just concerned about it on hills. the tigercub and HustlerZ are both about the same price $7,200-7,500. As of right now the Hustler is looking good because they offer a 2year bumper to bumper warrenty. I dont know which deal is better of the two. Any one here that owns a hustler Z what is it like on hills? Which mower do guys think is the better buy? Any opions on either mower greatly appreciated.
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a Hustler Z 52 with the 23 kawasaki. It is terrific on hills. BTW I'm familiar with the St.Albans area (my wife is from Logan) and you definitely have some serious hillsides to deal with, so the Hustler would fit the bill perfectly.

My Hustler has performed flawlessly and has over 700 hours on the clock. If I had to do it again I would get a little more HP. If you can get the 24 Honda or better yet a 25 Kawasaki you'll have an excellent mower. Either way, the Hustler is an awesome mower on hills and fast on flat areas.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You need to be able to fully demo both units on your properties so you can see how each handles your slopes and how each cuts your varieties of grass.

If they can't manage to arrange such a demo... then don't buy.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We demoed the Scag Tiger Cub 52in with the 23 Kawasaki for a week before we bought our first Cub. We had a mower in the shop and he let us borrow a Tiger Cub 52 with 24 Honda. The Kawasaki had a lot more torque in thick grass than the Honda but the Honda was quieter. We ended up buying the Cub with the 48/19 kawasaki becuase it cost $5999.99 at the time and the 52 with the 23 kawasaki was $7400. We probably would have bought the 52 with 23 if the price would have been a couple hundred different. We have two Tiger Cubs both 48/ 19 kawasaki's. The 2003 model has 460hrs and the 2004 has about 160hrs. They are great mowers and have held up well. The canister air filter system is great becuase the filter only need to be replaced once a year if kept clean. You might want to look at the Scag Wildcat because they have a 52in with a 25 kawasaki that I think is close in price to the Cub with the 23. I dont think they have it on there website but I got a brochure from my dealer with in in there.