Hustler Z vs Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnjunkie, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Lawnjunkie

Lawnjunkie LawnSite Member

Hey guys! shopping for new mower and need some of your feedback. I can get a 60" hustler z with a 25 kaw. for 6,900 w/o tax or a Scag Tiger Cub (61") with a 25hp kohler for 7,800 w/o tax. The Z has the xr7 deck. Everyone around here uses scag or ex mark, so that leads me to believe that scag is the better choice. I just haven't seen enough hustlers to know enough about them. Please help!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The XR7 didn't cut well for me in KY. There is a reason you are seeing Exmarks and Scags. Other than cut I have no problem with the Hustler, it just the type grass here isn't best suited for that deck in my opinion. Ask yourself would they be buying the Exmarks and Scag if they didn't preform well in your area. I think not.

Exmark, Grasshopper, Scag, Gravely are very common in KY so I would stay with what you see.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My Super Z cuts as good or better then my buddies who run Exmarks and Scag. That's on the turf here in Indiana though ... all mowed at the same time on a large complex.

All I can say is ... demo them if you can.

4. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Given that choice, I would go Scag all the way.they are just hard to beat.

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Hustler was my second choice, I bought a Scag. It's built a little stronger, and, at the time, the Hustler didn't have a grass catcher.

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the Scag have a ROPS? Or a ROPS option? The Hustler does and if that is a requirement for some jobs, that could make the difference. Scags don't sell so well down here except for the WB versions.

7. tacoma200

Forida is one of those places the Hustler does such good work. It all depends on the grass Our grass/weed mix is very difficult to work with. The guy I bought my Hustler from (or employee) put him self through school in Florida cutting grass. He said our grass was much more difficult to get a good cut. Where the Hustler would do OK in central Ky he came down to my area and said the conditions were just totally different. They have alkaline/ rich soil while we have yellow/ clay/ acidic soils. The XR7 did well in Bermuda or pure stands of turf, especially if you cut low say 3". It's the weeds and mixed grasses that give it problems.

8. tacoma200

I would add the Scag Wildcat and Exmark AS to your list to demo.
    The Lazer AS is a bargain for what you get.

9. Lawnjunkie

Lawnjunkie LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to demo a Hustler tomorrow and a Scag on saturday. I hope that this will make the decision easier.

10. tacoma200

I remember the first time I went through Indiana, I couldn't believe how black the soil was. The glaciers didn't make it below the Ohio River so we are stuck with yellow and clay soils in many area's. We have a fairly thin top soil compared with the Midwest with rock often only inches below the surface. Of course it varies as does the turf. So I do see some good reports by some in the Midwest. We are also over 1,000 ft above sea level. It all makes for different turf conditions. I think Envy can tell you that in his area just a little change in elevation and soil can make a big difference.