1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Z w/h XR-7 deck leaving stem's

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by RaiderMac, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RaiderMac

RaiderMac LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler Z 25/60 with the XR-7 deck. I love the mower and the way it cuts grass the "only" complaint I have is that it leaves some stem's on weeds while mowing. I don't know the name of all the types of weeds but even at slower speeds it leaves some high stem's. The blades are in great shape the cutting conditions are fine it just seems to be a problem with the deck. Are there any solutions? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
    The sales fliers says the deck is configurable for different mowing conditions, how and where do you do that? The mower has less than 40 hrs on it and has done it from the get go. Like I said, No other complaints.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Post or e-mail me your model and serial #.
    There may be a update for your deck depending on the production date of your unit.

3. jknowles4

jknowles4 LawnSite Member

don't mean to hijack your thread but how is the 25 hp on the 60" deck? Does it have enough power in tall grass? I am wanting to get this mower but don't know which engine to go with.
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

What height are you cutting? My 66" XR-7 will leave stringers at any cutting height above 3" but at 2.75" where I always cut it leaves nothing and I mow at top speed a great deal of the time. I am talking fast when cutting at top speed with the Super Z, I don't have the regular Z.

If you are using the fusion blades and your deck pitch is correct it should not leave anything you would notice especially at the lower speed of the regular Z.

Make a trial run at 2.75", measure from a flat concrete surface to the cutting edge of the blade with it toward the front of the mower, then measure the distance to the cutting edge at the other end of the blade while it is still pointed to the back of the mower. If the pitch on the deck is correct your distance should be 1/8" to 1/4" higher in the back than in the front. The cutting height will be the distance your blade is above ground level when it passes the front of the deck, the first distance you measured.

Please respond and let me know if this helps. My mower pin set in the fifth hole back from the front of the mower with my tire pressure at 8 lbs. has a cutting height of 2.75". I maintain 8 lbs. of tire pressure for the better ride and I have flex forks with the flex seat so the ride is excellent.
  5. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I have this problem with the old deck with the updated opening. Not sure it's a deck issue totally. Buckhorns & dandelions are especially bad.
  6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you changed over to the flat blades and spacers? if I recall you still are running the offset blades?
    The flat blades are sharpened almost to the center and that helps majorly with what you are having a issue with.

7. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

No becuase I have two sets of blades and didn't want to waste them. I'll keep it in mind though moving forward thanks.
  8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I put a set of Exmark Notched high lifts on and the cut is tremendously better,had the lift kit and triangles installed and it helped mine some. At 1st i thaught it was might be vacum problem with the deck,but now maybe its turbulence the Exmark blades now give me a much nicer cut :laugh:
  9. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

will the exmark high lifts work on a non xr7 super z 60? if so what part number? thanks.
  10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

That is something you will have to experiment with, measure and find them.
    I am not sure they would make a difference and I am not sure anyone on here has tried it.