Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeGA, Apr 8, 2001.

1. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

Anyone else running a Hustler Z yet? I finally got mine last week! I've cut the grass around home here twice with it and I'm finally getting the hang of running it, practice makes perfect.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

How much did you finaly pay ?
    And, what are your first impressions ?

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations Mike, I'm still getting used to my M665. The best way to turn seems to be a 3 point turn. I do pretty good until I get in a hurry and forget what I'm doing, it'll sure tear-up the grass if you just spin it around. Good luck

4. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I ended up giving 7 for it. But he decided he couldn't sell another ONE that cheap, some promotion they had going.

I have cut our grass twice with it. The first time their were several tall weeds and some pretty thick fescue spots and I had to slow down a bit in the fescue and if I ran to fast over the weeds it didn't cut them down as well as I hoped. The second time I cut (sunday) things weren't out of hand and like I figured, it would cut alot faster than I wanted to travel on it. I was suprised at hop well it cut in the ditches and on my terraces. Side ways, it seemed very stable, but I have one spot behind my house where I have to go down a fairly steep bank then make a turn left, while still steep, and it didn't want to make the turn I could stop and back up a little, I pulled the left stick back and it would just spin, when I pulled both sticks back it would spin but back up a little, when I would push the right stick forward, it would want to go on down the STEEPER part of the bank. I finally got it turned, but I am going to have to work on that. There is a couple of things I would have done different on the machine. I couldn't find any grease fittings on the front caster wheel spindles. There may be a reason for that, but unless I find out other wise, I will soon put a fitting in each of those. Another thing is the floor plate over the deck hits the foot deck lift petal when it is flipped up. I wish the mowing deck removed easier. I wanted to remove it and spray it with Slick Plate before I got it caked up, but chose to wait because it looked like more of a chore than I had time to do. I noticed there is a little rubber bumper disk the discharge chute rests on at the back and it supports the entire chute. The chute started ratteling sunday before I got through and when I looked at it, the chute had cut the corner off the bumper and I had to turn it over. I cut our yard the first time and didn't pour any gas in, duh, but it cut everything about 3 acres cut up into 5 areas, and sunday I went up to the shop, checked the oil greaset the fittings I could find, hoped on and started to the my house to cut first. I cut for about 10 minutes and then without warning, the motor quit. i looked in both tanks and couldn't find a drop. I had cut for probably 2 to 2 1/5 hours on what gas Scott and David had put in it before I picked it up. Just so happens I had a 5 gallon jug full of gas in my truck, there was more like 6 gallons in it. I started pouring it in and then looked in the other tank. one tank help around 6 gallons with room to spare and NONE had trasnfered to the other tank yet. I told my wife I was going to actually sit down and look at the manual one day.

Now, I have never ran any other ZT mower, but from the other brands I looked at, how they were built, and what I have seen this machine do, I would buy another one of these Zs if I needed two!!

Scott said the area Excel rep is coming by in the next week or so and wants to meet with me and see what I think about it and any changes I think it needs.

I think I am going to be happy with it!

5. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

I used my new Hustler Z Sunday when a friend called and said he needed some help mowing a commercial property. I was very impressed with the way it mowed, good striping, good cut. Ran it wide open in fairly tall grass. Only thing I did not like was the way it ran rough when it did not have the blades engaged and a load on the engine.

6. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

Mine does't seem to run rough.

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Mike your concern with the castor bearings was a concern of mine. I have the shortcut and I am sure the castors are the exact same. Hustler carries a lot of pride in the fact that those bearings do not need to be greased. I have had my shortcut for exactly 2 years next month and I have not heard the slightest squeek out of them. You do need to grease the bearings that the rim or tires roll on but the castors I guess you need not worry. If I am not mistaken they are the same size bearing that is used in the spindle for the blades. VERY STRONG machines. I have become fond of hustler products and if in the market for a new Z or shortcut I believe it will be excel. I do need another walkbehind and the guys that sold me the shortcut made me demo the t-bar steering hydro wb. Very odd feeling and I can not really see dumping 5 grand on a mower that will be used 25% of the time we are working. Guess I will have to stick with the generics for that. Anyway that's my 2 cents :D CONGRAT"S on the new mower!!

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Mike,
    You do not have to worry about greasing the caster bearing, this is someting Hustler has used in every machine made for many years and I can not recall someone having to replace the caster bearings, although you need to grease the wheel bearings....
    As Cajuncutter stated they are the same bearings that are in the spindles, and they last a good bit of time as long as your not hitting solid objects.

Rider100,
    How much did you pay for your Hustler Z ?

9. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

I paid $7100.00 for my Z, and $5100.00 for my 48" w/b.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Rider1000,
    Did you buy your unit from Reynolds
    I was there last week for the first time, and that place is huge !!!!