1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danzig, Nov 16, 2002.

1. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Demo'd a Hustler z and i liked it. User friendly and well designed. Want to demo a super z 60''. Anyone use this brand in their bus? How do they compare to the exmark lazer 60''. Which stripes better?
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Demoed the 25 horse 72" super z. It's a joke. 15 MPH is out of control at cutting speed. Motor doesn't even have a fraction of the power neccesary for that machine. Sticks are uncomfortably far forward at half speed much less full. The thing bogs big time when sticks are thrown all the way in forward until the motor can catch up, and the big patches welded to the front frame that extends where the wheels are mounted are about as butchered as you can get. Big thumbs down!!!!!! Sorry Hustler, very dissapointed with that unit, I'll stick with eXmark.
  3. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

We own a 60 inch w/ 25 Kawi.. The mower is sweet, better than pretty much any other type of mower we own. We bought it in the spring and put around 850 hours on it.. The throttle cable broke on it, probably one of my guys fault though, don't know.. The mower saves so much time, it will eventually pay for itself. The only part that I don't like about the mower was the air intake system, the filter gets dirty so quick and have to be cleaned and replaced very often. We have since gotten the Donaldson Air Filter system and has pretty much solved the problem. All in all I think it is one of the best mowers out there..
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Randy,funny how the one I demo'd was built like tank,and didnt have the welding defects.Maybe because it was a 60",it didnt bog at all,even though i went wide open at 15mph,trying to get it to bog or miss some grass,it did neither,it tore thru 5+" of thick grass ,cut it to 3 /12" at wide open clean one pass.The demo i tried also had the 25Kawi,it was a little noisy but ran good.The hydros were very smooth on the one i demo'd
  5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I love my super z and as far as striping goes it is as good as anything out there. The 72 super z is under powered but hustler is going to be offering these with much larger motors in the spring so that shouldn't be a problem anymore, as for the levers being to far forward maybe you should look at the machine a little better before you judge it because they are adjustable and when they are adjusted properly to the operator they are as comfortable as any other ztr.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I love mine, the only think I would like to add is fenders to the rear tires. The back tires get muddy then you go fast and it's slinging on your back.

primo lawn 1 deck.jpg
  7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

The super is Great you wont be sorry if you get one. as you can see it stripes great,

stuff 130 (small).jpg
  8. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Any more comments about the Hustler compared to the Exmark?
  9. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

Thought I'd point out a few things regarding your opinions re 25hp Super Z you demo'd

I had checked with the factory when I first saw them. I believe your talking about the curve in the front frame just before the wheel assembly. It's my understanding that they specifically engineered that piece in that shape for maximum strength.

The super z's hydro system has bypass valves that kick open when you apply full power quickly. As the unit speeds up the valves close and you get the full power. It feels almost like a clutch engaging/disengaging.

The handles are adjustable both fore and aft and also can be raised for bigger guys.

I like the super z, thought power was adequate w 72. wasnt trying to cut a hayfield or anything though.

Just my thoughts - have a good day ScottH
  10. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I am also interested in the Hustler line, but in the wb category for now. I am especially interested in trying the gatemaster as most gates around here are about 35".

Since I cannot compare the two, since I have not demoed them both, the only problem that I have with Hustler is that the nearest dealer is about 40 miles away on the other side of Houston. It is a mega dealer called Cypress Lawn & Turf Equipment. Whereas, with the Exmark line, I have three dealers between 10 and 20 miles away close to my side of town. I will call Cypress because they advertise that they give loaners and have free delivery, but I know mo one on this side of town that uses them..

The point of my rambling is that you are comparing quality machines. Either one will probably do a great job for you. So, you should also look at other factors before making your decision, such as dealer proximity and support.