1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Nov 11, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer told me if I wanted a good commercial mower to get a scag hustler or jd commercial. Well they had a hustler for 5100 on sale. I forgot if it was a fast track or hustler z? Is it worth getting?
  2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

You have said that your lawns are postage stamps in a previous thread? Why not just a 36 inch mower to start so you can keep your overhead down. BTW have you gotten a vehicle and a trailer yet? I noticed that your profile that your 16.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you really want a Z. what about the gravely 34" Z or the scag Z cat? it would be cheaper than that, and you could use it on your postage stamps.
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

No. Why I need it is for if we move to a acre property.
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

gotcha. check out the lesco Z two. envy lawn service is impressed with it, and I greaty respect his opinion. if you want a 60" they have a 60" wide trac model with a 28hp generac. the promo price is like $5100, which is unreal.
  6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently bought a used Scag. I gave serious consideration to the Hustler. It looked like it was built nearly as well as the Scag, but the rod ends on the control rods were a little smaller, maintenance access wasn't quite as easy--but they weren't deal killers. I need a grass catcher and the dealer told me that Hustler didn't offer one of their own. He said that they could get one made by a third party, and that Hustler might be offering one soon. That was a deal killer. I bought the Scag w/ a Scag grass catcher.
  7. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

hustler offers a BacVac? I was thinking of one next fall.
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

trust me go with hustler.. i run 4 crews who beat the crap outta everything and hustler is the only thing thats lasted the longest....
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Theres no doubt that hustlers machines are built extremely tough. And their customer service is excellent. I'll give them that, they are the number 1 in customer service in my eyes.

But when a rep brought some mowers out for me to check out, they didn't have the quality cut I was looking for. The hustler super z i used didn't have that well manicured level cut look. The rear discharge cut like a brush hog, which he said is all that is expected of it. So I had to stay away due to the cut and the local dealer sucks. If I had a good local dealer, I'd probably buy one, and just have to work with it, using different blades or check everything like pitch and all that.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Out of just those 3 I like Hustler and Scag. I especially like the new 2006 model Hustlers. Anyways, without more info about the mower I couldn't say if $5,100 is a good deal or not. But if you are considering a small Z and will be getting an '05 model, well I think I like the Scags maybe a little better.

Thanks TC, and yes I am still very impressed with my Z-Two. I wanted the 28/60" wide track model when I bought mine. But I was told they did not exist. So I bought the standard 25/60" model, which you can get for $6,299 last time I checked. Right after buying I saw the wide track 60" model on Lesco.com for $5,399.

If it were me and I could get one, I'd go with the 28/60" for the extra ponies and the wider track width. But some guys might still opt for the model I have for the extra trim ability.

However, the issue is that who the heck knows if you really can actually get this model anyways.