Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pohldog, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pohldog

pohldog LawnSite Member

I am a Hustler dealer. And have been happy with the satisfaction of my customers. I really think they are a great mower. But I only know one side of it. Can you help point out the pros and cons.

2. amor4421

amor4421 LawnSite Member

Hey pohldog do you sell any aftermarket ocdc for the 42" mini z? or what do you suggest is the best ocdc for my mini z? i love my hustler and will be adding a walk behind in the future. my only suggestion is for you(the dealer) to check the connection for the pto and make sure the wires are in the plug all the way. that is the only thing that i have found wrong with my ztr. i don't know if my dealer does an pdi on his mowers but it was just something small i found. great machine.

3. pohldog

pohldog LawnSite Member

ocdc??? what is that?

4. amor4421

amor4421 LawnSite Member

operator controlled discharge chute

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

The only thing good about Hustler in my experience is the customer service, it is 2nd to none. But I have only owned 1 Hustler and its 2 1/2 seasons about 750 hrs on it. Before I go on I want to say that in 17 yrs with Exmark Grasshopper, Walker, every mower line has lasted me 3000 plus hrs with none of them going to the shop. I just never had any bad stuff happen. Then I bought a 2006 66" Super Z 30 hp Kohler. Today is the 2nd time this yr that I have hauled it 100 miles to be repaired which will be with a week long stay in the shop I'm sure. Things that have broke to date:

1st Wheel motor 280 hrs 2nd wheel motor 300 hrs. Multiple times it's been down waiting on a new pigtail for the pto clutch. All new relays 1 week downtime. Updated deck baffles blow out still cuts like crap if the grass is very long. Complete new exhaust system from engine vibration header pipe kept breaking around 400 hrs. Today pigtail shorted out only 1 month old. Started fixing and found another surprise the deck the engine rests on is broke which caused the clutch to vibrate even more breaking the wire. My biggest day I spent it driving now I have to work through the holiday weekend to get caught up using a loner that is not going to work on all my lawns, so I was forced to spend $10,000 on an Exmark Lazer which I have alway had good luck with. Hustler dealer has treated me fair, but why can't they drop Hustler and get a real mower that is depeendable like Exmark, or Cub Cadet because it would be a huge improvement. The Hustler mower is a nice ride the end, don't ask it to cut clean, and don't expect it to make it back to the trailer. The thing that sucks is I am spending $650 per month on this problem mower. And thats just the stuff I remember off the top of my head.... And you still want to sell Hustler ???? Sorry for venting...

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

After my last post I want to Thank HUstler for breaking down and making me deliver it 100 miles away to my dealer. If not for that I wouldn't have found and bought my new Exmark Lazer Z AS 60 mower. I ran it all day and could not believe it was so much more productive than I thought it would be. I finished my jobs quicker because of it's nimbleness and excellent cut. Anyone wanna buy a Hustler with 750 hrs?