1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler's New Zeon Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nosparkplugs, Oct 13, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

So whens yours comming in??? lol...........:usflag:
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

There's another thread about this. Has an 80 minute run time and a 16 hour recharge...
  4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

how is that profitable for an LCO?
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

It's not. This is for the type of homeowner who buys a Prius. You know, to show their neighbors how concerned they are for the environment...
  6. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I think it is a good step in the right direction and I applaud Hustler for doing it. The mower engines we have now are some of the biggest polluters out of all gas engines. They pollute a lot more than even car engines. If this becomes the norm for future homeowners, it would make a huge impact. Homeowner mower units out number commercial mows by probably 500 to 1 (just a rough estimate). But until they can come up with a source that will let an LCO use it for 8-10 hours a day on one charge, then gas engines will have to do. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the future to replace gas engines. Maybe have little nuclear reactors on the back as engines that only need to be recharged one every 10-20 years. As Tim Taylor would say "MORE POWER!!!!"
  7. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I am in the forklift business and it is headed in the same direction. Just until two years ago, every customer would not even consider an electric forklift unless they had too. Now, I have lumber yards purchasing 8,000# forklifts with 80 volt batteries. The forklifts batteries are set up with a new technology called quick charge. All they have to do is to plug the battery into the charger during breaks and lunch time and they can run it all day. A benefit with an electric forklift over IC is less moving parts and no pollution. Currently it is cheaper to charge a battery than it is to put Diesel or LPG in the tank. I think this is a good move by Hustler, but it will take some time to perfect it. Its coming no matter if you like it or not, just be ready.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

There is no sustainable technology (as of yet) to create a lasting battery that's affordable and environmentally safe. Those batteries, when disposed of, will reverse any environmental gains they chalked up during use.

I'll bet that unit costs a small fortune when they release the price. This is a niche product.

If people want to go green, buy an extension cord and an electric unit. Better yet, buy a manual reel mower.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to be active and trying. We certainly are a prodigal people. But I'm gonna wager that Hustler isn't doing this to make a statement or be noble. They're doing this to make a profit - to be first out of the gates and reap the rewards thereof. They see an open market and are capitalizing on it... Yeah for them, good business decision. But hardly gallant.
  9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Almost every part in a battery can be, and if you return it for your core credit, is recycled. The lead, plastic, and acid (re-used in the manufacturing process, not put into new batteries) is recycled.

This is a great step in the right direction. Yes, its aimed at the homeowner, but mabye in a few years we will have an improved version that will last all day. The specs are pretty decent on the mower. Speed, blade tip speed, ect all look good.

I look forward to the day when we have a viable alternative to gas engines for all our equipment. Tessla is working on an electric truck. I doubt it will have the towing capacity we need, but, someday it might. The range on it is supposed to be a couple hundred miles, all my mowing routes are under 100 miles.
  10. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

As the man says quick charge

Now, if you can plug it into the truck's charging system between mowings & it's quick charge this could evolve into something. You will load your mower strap it down, and plug it in. ( :nono: be to the operator who forgets to plug it in when strapping down)The first gas mowers weren't any great heck either. Give it time