hustlers not cuttin so good...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by AintNoFun, May 12, 2004.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

im just trying to figure out whats going on. We have a few hustlers one is 3 years old and the other is 2 years old. They are both Super Z's. Lately they have been cutting like crap. Yes the blades are done every other day. They seem to be bogging down and not cutting well. Whats going on, should I replace the belts, could they be stretched. Is the cluthes going, just trying to figure it out... thanks
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Lately ?
    Have you checked your belt tension ? your engine RPM's ? deck pitch ? the belt could be wearing down in the spindle pulleys, I would check the insides of the spindle pulleys also.
    I would not think it to be the clutch.
    There are several reasons why this could be happening, I would start with the above and go from there.

3. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Dont Forget spring grass mows hard because it so lush.Make sure you blades are not over sharpened. Evertime you sharpen them the overlap GETs LESS AND LESS. The blade gets shorter evertime you sharpen them. Mke sure the deck are clear and not filled with grass.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Also check the engine rpm setting. If the rpm's are even off by 200-300 on the low side it will greatly affect the cut. A new belt works wonders. I change mine 2 times per season no matter what.