Hybrid Bermuda in TX

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gundy1024, May 12, 2010.

1. Gundy1024

Gundy1024 LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I have some questions about my lawn and was told to post a thread here to see if you all could help.

My lawn is a hybrid Bermuda that I laid from sod about 4 years ago and although it does not look all that bad I am not as happy with it as I think I could be. It never seems to fully green up during the spring and I have lots of dead growth from the prior year showing .

Question is how should I be treating it? (mowing, fert, etc.)

I will post some pics as soon as I get home and take some. Like I said before though, it is not a bad looking ard, just looking to make it better.

Thanks,

Gundy

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. Gundy1024

Here is a basic picture of the lawn.

photo.jpg

3. TCU

TCU LawnSite Member

Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest 15-5-10 fertilizer. Fertilize every 6 weeks of the growing season. To make your lawn greener buy some 1-0-1 ironite and apply that as needed.

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

This is good advice. Also as your lawn comes out of dormancy it's a good time to scalp it down, aerate and then fertlize, water to get it going. I would go and get some lesco fert though. Cheap vigaro at home cheapo has a lot of crappy filler in it.

5. Gundy1024

OK, thanks for the advise. Weather here is going to be rainy here for the next week, in the mid 80's. So, should I go ahead and scalp the lawn now or is it too late?

Also, Lesco is not an option here, we have a few non chain stores that I can look into for the fert. Will look for the numbers you all have suggested.

Also, I have added some pics that I took this afternoon. In them you will see some areas that are not growing the same as the rest. Is this because of the fact that the yard was not leveled properly prior to the sod going down or do I need to treat these areas different? There are parts of the lawn that do not grow in as thick as other parts, what can I do about that?
    Thanks for the help!

CIMG7989.jpg

CIMG7990.jpg

CIMG7991.jpg

CIMG7992.jpg

CIMG7993.jpg

6. Gundy1024

More Pictures

CIMG7994.jpg

CIMG7995.jpg

CIMG7996.jpg

CIMG7997.jpg

CIMG7998.jpg

7. Gundy1024

Just a few more

CIMG7999.jpg

CIMG8000.jpg

CIMG8001.jpg

8. TCU

TCU LawnSite Member

At the McKinney Home Depot they have Lesco, but they mark it up a ton...
    All 15-5-10 fertilizers are pretty much the same.
    I would just buy the cheapest

9. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you apply the Fertilizer and the Ironite at the same time? I ask becasue I live down the street from him and I will be helping with this little project.

Thanks GulfJoe

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

yes