1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hybrid Bermuda: recommended # of inches of water?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threxx, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I understand it needs to be greater in hot months and less in cool months, but just assume based on an average summer time temp range w/ lows in the low/mid 70s and highs in the high 80s / low 90s, as it here.

Ignore the potential for rainfall... I will monitor/calculate that and subtract it from my watering cycles to the point that my total always reaches the required amount.

So to the question at hand... if I'm watering 3 times a week (which I understand is ideal... maybe only 2 times a week if I really wanted to grow roots as deep as possible), how many inches of water per month or watering cycle or week or whatever should the turf be ideally getting? To the point that too much more wouldn't do any more good or might even do harm, but too much less would keep the lawn from being as beautiful as it possibly could be.

I've done several searches and seen a couple of references to 1 inch per week in the summer months, less in the cooler months, for a total of 40 inches, ideally, per year. Does this sound roughly accurate? If not, what does?
  2. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

wow... seemed like such a simple question. I don't need a super-accurate answer, just a rough guestimate. I had no idea this forum moved so fast. Just asked the question and already on the second page. :(

I don't know if 'ttt' type posts are welcome here but I'm desperate... I won't bump this myself again if I don't get any responses. :cry: