Hybrid Bluegrass Seed in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nwok2u, Jul 19, 2008.

1. nwok2u

nwok2u LawnSite Member

I am a part time lawn professional. I only work on a few jobs per year in central Oklahoma. I have a customer who wants to have a mix of the scotts hybrid bluegrasses seeded on his lawn. I have had tremendous luck with the 85% fescue/15% bluegrass blends that are commercially available, but I have not found a place that carries full hybrid seed. I would like a mix of thermal blue, dura blue, and maybe the other two hybrids. Where can I get the seed?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried Lesco?
  3. nwok2u

nwok2u LawnSite Member

Do they carry Scotts seed or only Lessco varieties?
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

5. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

That thermal blue is interesting. How much heat tolerance does it have? Will it go to solid zone 7 or 7b?
  6. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

If you find something that does what you need, please let me know. I've been using the heartland blend and I'm not really satisfied with it. Seems like the bluegrass varieties in it just die, especially this time of year. I tried the Scott's stuff and got very poor results.
  7. nwok2u

nwok2u LawnSite Member

All I know is i have the scotts mix in my back yard and it is doing great in the heat. Is has been 100+ for 2 weeks and it looks great. I water about once a week. You can tell the fescue from the bluegrass because of the texture and the bluegrass is outgrowing the fescue in the heat. It beat my expectations by far. Make sure you plant in Sept/Oct for the best results. You can't plant in the spring and expect good grass for the summer. I really think this grass would work well in all of zone 7. Definately better in full sun, not as shade tollerant as strait fescue. I really want to find a dealer that has it without the fescue in the mix. Anyone know where I can get it.
  8. rebaths

rebaths LawnSite Member
    from None

Here, try this discussion from several years ago and recent. I found this with the search function!