Hydaulics whining

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BigDave, Mar 27, 2003.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

This past weekend, I used my new Lazer HP 23-hp for the first time. It was every bit as enjoyable as I expected it to be!

Here's my question. I used the Lazer to pull a Brinly aerator with 150 lbs of weight on it. I'm afraid that it's a bit more than the Exmark recommended 80-lbs of draw weight. Additionally, in some places on my property, I'm afraid the slope is greater than the Exmark recommended max of 15 degrees.

When I would start up the hill, the Lazer's engine would wake up with a bit of a jolt, and the hydraulics would start whining quite loudly. Yet, it would proceed to take me right up the hill with no problems.

My question is: do you think I should be concerned about the loud hydraulics whining? Are there any "warning signs" that occur before a possible hydraulic motor failure?

Thanks much,
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

All units have some hydro whine to them. The hydro system will increase in noise by air not purged out, cold fluid, plugged filter and increases in load to the system.

If you have any doubts that it to your dealer.

How loud the whine can tell if there is a problem. First run the unit for a few minutes and take the cap off of the hydro take. If the oil looks milky, that means there is air still in the system.

What kills hydros are spike loads and contaminants. Because of so many factors it is hard to advise with out seeing. I can say that I don't think your aerator is a problem. Reduce fast starts and quick stops while towing, you should be ok. Plus be careful on hills.

Thanks, Fred.