1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydo vs. Belt Drive

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rustyb265, Jun 14, 2006.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

Ok, I am going to ask the dumb a$$ new guy question. Why does everyone say hydro's are so much easier to run than belt drives? I mean arent they both self propelled? All you have to do is walk behind the thning and squeeze when you want it to turn. Why are hydro's so much better? I hear people talking about how hydo's will save you energy. Why? Thanks for any tips.
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Just type in hydro vs belt on the search forum and you will have a days worth of reading on this topic
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Belt drives drive you
    You drive A Hydro.

Here is some advice from someone who started out with a belt drive Metro: Splurge on a Hydro, it is so worth it. It seems like a big difference up front, but after a year of manhandling a belt drive you will wish you had a hydro.

If you are mowing in the rain AT ALL, a belt drive is useless.

DEMO, DEMO, DEMO, even if all you do is test them in the parking lot you will see the difference. I didnt even look at the hydro when I first started strictly because of the price. I have since tried a Turf Tracer HP, thats a walk behind...
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow with a belt drive during extremely wet periods, or on a extremely wet day,then mow with a hydro in wet conditions.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 52" hydro wb last year for my larger properties and it was awsome! Because I downsized a bit, I just run a 36" belt drive machine this season.

After running a hydro, you will not want to go back to a belt drive!
  6. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro's make your job so much easier. The belt drive is much slower when you have to back up, go around something or even if you want to change your speed. I have both, 36" belt drive Ferris and a 52" dual hydro Ferris. I use the 52 as much as possible. It is my biggest mower but it is the easiest and fastest mower to use. If I could do it over I would have bought a 36" hydro. I won't ever buy another belt drive.

The belt drive will get the job done but it will work you compared to the hydro.
  7. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" belt, and a 48" hydro. In my opinion the hydro is better hands down. If you need to back up its much easier. I also think its faster and easier to operate.
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It's kinda like havin a wife(Hydro) that cooks like mom. Then you have the wife (Belt Drive) that cant make toast. They can both be fun!!!