Hydra Mac 1850

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Tadams, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody know anything about the Hydra Mac skid steers? It's a long story that probably no one wants to hear, but I have acquired one at a great price. All it needed was a new battery and two hoses replaced- one was leaking and the other one was the only other one that hadn't already been replaced. It came with 2 buckets -both are smooth but I'm gonna put teeth on one, and 2 sets of forks.

It has hand controls- I'll have to get used to those but I like them. It has an Isuzu diesel in it.

Does anyone know of any problems that I should look out for? I've searched online but there is not a lot of info on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Tadams

Bump............

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

If it was not broken but needed maintenance. Find a dealer who offers maintenance. Ask them, then find a competitor and tell them you are considering one, they will tell you all the problems and more.

Just try and work the thing to death and get your money back asap.

4. Tadams

Thanks for the input Duekster! So far it has been a good loader. Anyone else have anything they know about them?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The interesting design point on these machines is that they are gear driven meaning no chains or chain cases. No one else ever picked up on the idea so maybe that says something. Other than that I have only seen one in use in this area. I would run the wheels off of it because you'll never beable to trade it.

6. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

I know 3 of this machines they are very heavy ,one guy along has two of them ,he thinks they are the best skid steer the three have Cummings 6 cylinder B 5.9 non turbo so there most be power to spare ,so in general this two guys are happy with theirs machines.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

They are heavy machines. Unfortunately they look like someone built it in their shop as a winter project. Not to say they are not well built its just they don't look like a finished product IMHO.

8. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I honestly haven't heard much recently, and I think they may have gone out of business or aren't doing the commercial sales aspect anymore. I heard (word-of-mouth) that they're built like tanks and are equally difficult to service, but they do last.

Keep in mind, though, that this was just speculation and hear-say.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What sort of hand controls do these have?

Looking at pictures, I somehow doubt your going to see pilots in them. I'd suspect a rudimentary E/H system.

I remember running a rental Scat Trak excavator a few years back. Each joystick simply rocked on 4 electric switches. It was horribly inaccurate and you had absolutely no feel in the sticks.

Thats probably why Scat Trak is out of business now :)

10. Tadams

The controls are all in the joysticks. The left joystick moves you forward and backward but you twist it right or left and it turns the loader in that direction. The right joystick moves the boom up and down when you push it forward or backward and the bucket tilts when you twist the joystick. The joysticks are between your legs ( like a Walker mower). They come straight up and then turn back toward each other so your hands are facing down instead of your palms facing each other. The only other loader that I have ran was a Bobcat and it hand joysticks on the outside of your legs to drive and foot controls for the boom and bucket.

I don't really know what pilots or E/H is. Can you tell me what they are? I might know but never heard it called that before.

I was also told that they went out of business but you can still get parts for them.

They do look a little unfinished like they were built in a garage!